1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic energy density

1. Oct 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In an atom: suppose one electron orbits the n proton nucleus at radius r . Find the magnetic energy density, in J/m3, at the center of the atom due to the motion of this electron.

NOTE: You can ignore the effect of other electrons in this atom.

2. Relevant equations
    u=B^2/2*u_o
    = (N*u_o*I)^2 /2u_o
    or=N*(u_o*I)^2 /2u_o
    3. The attempt at a solution
    1)
    Is the number of protons can be treat as the number of turns of the magnetic field, should I plug N inside the parentheses

2)
    Since qvB=IBL and I get I=qv/L, and then I use mv^2/r = kqq/r^2 to get the expression of v and plug it in qv/L and finally plug the expression of I in the (N*u_o*I)^2 /2u_o.
    Am I on the right track or it is completely wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2015 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not sure what you were trying to do. Looks like you are trying to use Ampere's law but this is not applicable here.
    I suggest:
    1. find B at the center of the atom. This involves finding the speed of the rotating electron as it circles around the N-proton nucleus. You now have a curren loop of known parameters (i and r) centered on the nucleus.
    2. Use Biot-Savart (or your textbook, probably) to determine B at the nucleus.
    3. Use your formula for energy density.

4. Oct 30, 2015 #3
    Thank you for the reply. And Yes, I was trying to use Ampere's law. But why it is not applicable here? I though electron is moving in a circular path, so it supposes to be symmetrical? And when you said "You now have a current loop of known parameters (i and r) centered on the nucleus", how do I know the current?

5. Oct 30, 2015 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

While Ampere's law is valid for any closed path pierced by the loop, the B field around it is not at all constant, so you cannot say that ∫B dl = B 2πr even though ∫B dl = μi is correct. So you can't evaluate B at any point around your path. Also, why did you include N in the Ampere formula?

Figure out what the speed of the orbiting electron is around the loop. Then i = dq/dt at any point on the electron's orbit.

6. Oct 30, 2015 #5
    can someone show work for this problem please

7. Oct 30, 2015 #6
    can u please show work ?

8. Oct 30, 2015 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, as The Prisoner (old TV show) was told, "That would be telling".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted