1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic energy, equation

1. Aug 27, 2010 #1
    I was reading an article, and it said that the total free energy of the system in an external magnetic field H can be written as:
    F= 0.5 * χe^(-1) * Me^2 + 0.5 * χl^(-1) * Ml^2 - Jeff*Ml*Me - (Ml+Me)H

Where Ml and Me denote the magnetization for the local moment and electron subsystem. J_eff is the magnetic exchange coupling between them. H is the applied field and χl and χe the susceptibilty of the system (local moment/electrons)

I don't understand where this expression comes from. I start out with U=-M*B, but I cannot seem to get to the right answer. The first two terms of the right hand site of the equation from the paper are mysterious to me, and I would expect a mu_zero to show up somewhere.
    Can anybody please give it a try? It shouldn't be that hard I would say. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you have a link to the paper?

4. Aug 29, 2010 #3
    Agreed, could we obtain more details about what it specifically models, and a link to the paper? I just took a statistical mechanics course, and deriving results like this can be pretty trying in fact, at least to me they were. Specifically, I remember the course covering topics related to the free energy of a system subject to an external H-field. I am not competent enough in it to give you a more thorough answer though off-hand, I will have to consult K. Huang's text and my notes from the course. In the mean time, how about giving us a peak at that paper?

Recall though that the free energy dF = dU - TdS - SdT (or, however you wish to manipulate it), there are more terms included other than the internal energy U. You may have been pursuing this route, but I thought I would point out that free energy is not the same thing as internal energy (U), on the off-chance that you made this oversight.

5. Aug 30, 2010 #4
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook