1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field above loop

1. Mar 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the magnetic field above a loop shown in picture with radius ##R## and current ##I##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Firstly, curved part:

##\vec{H}(\vec{r})=\frac{I}{4\pi }\int \frac{d\vec{{r}'}\times (\vec{r}-\vec{{r}'})}{|\vec{r}-\vec{{r}'}|^3}cos\varphi =\frac{I}{4\pi }\int \frac{Rd\varphi \hat{e}_{\varphi }\times (\vec{r}-\vec{{r}'})}{(R^2+z^2)^{3/2}}\frac{R}{\sqrt{R^2+z^2}}##

Where ##\hat{e}_{\varphi }\times (\vec{r}-\vec{{r}'})=|\hat{e}_{\varphi }||\vec{r}-\vec{{r}'}|sin\varphi \hat{n}=\sqrt{R^2+z^2}\hat{n}## and finally:

##\vec{H}(\vec{r})=\frac{I}{4\pi }\int_{\pi }^{2\pi }\frac{R^2\hat{n}d\varphi }{(R^2+z^2)^{3/2}}=\frac{IR^2}{4(R^2+z^2)^{3/2}}\hat{n}##.

For the straight line I have some troubles with the integral...

##\vec{H}(\vec{r})=\frac{I}{4\pi }\int \frac{d\vec{{r}'}\times (\vec{r}-\vec{{r}'})}{|\vec{r}-\vec{{r}'}|^3}##

Now ##d\vec{{r}'}\times (\vec{r}-\vec{{r}'})=d\vec{{r}'}\times \vec{r}## since ##d\vec{{r}'}## and ##\vec{{r}'}## are parallel. Also ##d\vec{{r}'}=dx\hat{e}_x##.

##\vec{H}(\vec{r})=\frac{I}{4\pi }\int_{-R}^{R}\frac{dx(\hat{e}_x\times \vec{r})}{((\vec{r}-\hat{e}_xx)(\vec{r}-\hat{e}_xx))^{3/2}}=\frac{I(\hat{e}_x\times \vec{r})}{4\pi }\int_{-R}^{R}\frac{dx}{(r^2-2\hat{e}_x\vec{r} x+x^2)^{3/2}}##

Now what? o_O Is this even ok?

Attached Files:

• wef.JPG
      wef.JPG
      File size:
      1.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Presumably you've already done it, or seen it done, for an infinite straight wire?

4. Mar 30, 2014 #3
    Aha, ok, I see it now...

##\hat{e}_x\vec{r}=0## since they are always perpendicular. (My question here: What if they werent?)

In that case, things simplify a lot and the integral over the straight line should be ##\vec{H}(\vec{r})=\frac{IR}{2\pi r\sqrt{R^2+r^2}}\hat{e}_y##, where ##\vec{r} ## is the distance from the center of the straight line to point ##T##.

5. Mar 30, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

When you don't have easy symmetry, the calculation can get arbitrarily difficult.
    In many cases the integral has to be solved numerically.

That is why you will only see simple geometries at this stage.
    Also consider what happens to the field close to one corner of the D ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted