What is the Magnetic Field and Flux at Point O?

In summary,The lead XY has a straight wire next to it and a circular lead with a radius of 0.10 meters. The circular lead has a current running through it which is opposed to the current running through the straight wire.
Helly123

Homework Statement

20180501_212242.jpg
[/B]
There is lead XY shaped as straight wire. Next to it, circular lead with radius 0.10 m.
They are in the same plane.
XY to center of circle, O is 0.20 m.
Curent flowing through XY is 15.7 A

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) find magnetic field (B) at O[/B]
B induced by XY at O ##u_0##I/2##\pi##r
B induced by Circle at O ##u_0##I/2R
So i just add both?
Since B induced at O by XY is opposed direction, the current at Circular wire is opposed direction to current XY?

2) flux at O

flux = BA cos ##\theta##
So A is 1? Because it just a point at O?
While, B equal to B at number 1) ?

3) when B at O set to 0 by a current passing in circular lead. Find magnitude and direction of this current
B at O is zero
This current does it refer to current at circular wire?

Attachments

• 20180501_212242.jpg
    20180501_212242.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 654
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please restate the problem exactly as given? Looks to me that you have current going through the straight wire and a circular area defined. Are you supposed to find the flux through that area?

Doc Al said:
Could you please restate the problem exactly as given? Looks to me that you have current going through the straight wire and a circular area defined. Are you supposed to find the flux through that area?
This is it. Hope it shows clear
Screenshot_20180501_222053.jpg

It only says that, flux at O.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180501_222053.jpg
    Screenshot_20180501_222053.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 315
OK, much clearer. For parts 1 & 2 you only need consider the magnetic field generated by the straight wire.

Doc Al said:
OK, much clearer. For parts 1 & 2 you only need consider the magnetic field generated by the straight wire.
For 1) the formula before is correct?
For 2) i simply count Area as 1?

Ah, it looks like they are distinguishing B (magnetic flux density) from H (magnetic field strength). For this problem, they are simply related. See: Magnetic Field

(I'm too used to calling B the magnetic field strength, as done in most elementary books.)

Likes Helly123
Doc Al said:
Ah, it looks like they are distinguishing B (magnetic flux density) from H (magnetic field strength). For this problem, they are simply related. See: Magnetic Field

(I'm too used to calling B the magnetic field strength, as done in most elementary books.)
For number 1) i have to find H = 1.25 A/m
For number 2) i have to find B = 1.57 10^-6 Wb/m^2

As for number 3.
1.25 A/m
How many meter to be counted for that circular wire? How to tell that the induced current have opposite direction to current XY?

Helly123 said:
How many meter to be counted for that circular wire?
You need to know how to find the field at the center of a current loop.

Helly123 said:
How to tell that the induced current have opposite direction to current XY?
You'd use a version of the right-hand rule. For example, a clockwise current in that circular loop would produce a field (at the center) going into the page.

You know the direction of the field from the straight wire (from another version of the right-hand rule) so the field from the current loop must oppose that direction to cancel it.

Likes Helly123
Doc Al said:
You need to know how to find the field at the center of a current loop.You'd use a version of the right-hand rule. For example, a clockwise current in that circular loop would produce a field (at the center) going into the page.

You know the direction of the field from the straight wire (from another version of the right-hand rule) so the field from the current loop must oppose that direction to cancel it.
Ok.
The induced current always opposed to the original?
Btw. When i calculated H
the formula is H = B/##u_o## - M
What is M? M for the lead?

Helly123 said:
The induced current always opposed to the original?
There's no induced current here. (The magnetic field is not changing.) There is the field from the straight wire and the field from the circular loop. They must oppose each other since you are asked for the current in the loop that gives zero net field in the center.

Helly123 said:
Ok.
Btw. When i calculated H
the formula is H = B/##u_o## - M
What is M? M for the lead?
I'm assuming this is a loop of wire with nothing inside it. So all you need is H = B/##u_o##.

Doc Al said:
There's no induced current here. (The magnetic field is not changing.) There is the field from the straight wire and the field from the circular loop. They must oppose each other since you are asked for the current in the loop that gives zero net field in the center.I'm assuming this is a loop of wire with nothing inside it. So all you need is H = B/##u_o##.
Do you have article about loop wire next to straight wire?

Doc Al said:
There's no induced current here. (The magnetic field is not changing.) There is the field from the straight wire and the field from the circular loop. They must oppose each other since you are asked for the current in the loop that gives zero net field in the center.I'm assuming this is a loop of wire with nothing inside it. So all you need is H = B/##u_o##.
How come there is magnetic field from loop if there is no current induced in it?

Helly123 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 224974 [/B]
There is lead XY shaped as straight wire. Next to it, circular lead with radius 0.10 m.
They are in the same plane.
XY to center of circle, O is 0.20 m.
Curent flowing through XY is 15.7 A

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) find magnetic field (B) at O[/B]
B induced by XY at O ##u_0##I/2##\pi##r
B induced by Circle at O ##u_0##I/2R
So i just add both?
Since B induced at O by XY is opposed direction, the current at Circular wire is opposed direction to current XY?

2) flux at O

flux = BA cos ##\theta##
So A is 1? Because it just a point at O?
While, B equal to B at number 1) ?

3) when B at O set to 0 by a current passing in circular lead. Find magnitude and direction of this current
B at O is zero
This current does it refer to current at circular wire?
I have a doubt, is there any difference between magnetic flux and magnetic flux density?

Helly123 said:
How come there is magnetic field from loop if there is no current induced in it?
There is a current in the loop, but not an induced current. You need to figure how much current the loop must have to cancel the field from the straight wire.

(Induced current is created by a changing magnetic field -- not relevant here.)

Doc Al said:
There is a current in the loop, but not an induced current. You need to figure how much current the loop must have to cancel the field from the straight wire.

Since the magnetic field H at O is 1.25 A/m
Distance from loop to O is 0.1 m. So current is 12.5 A? Where the current comes from if not induced?

jishnu said:
I have a doubt, is there any difference between magnetic flux and magnetic flux density?
I think the wikipedia said so

Here's how you find the field from a loop of current-carrying wire: Field at Center of Current Loop

Helly123 said:
Where the current comes from if not induced?
It is added externally. (That loop of wire may be part of a circuit.)

Helly123 said:
I think the wikipedia said so
Yeah you are right, even though I read it from there could not grasp more idea about that, some please help me with this,
is there difference in their units
Or what makes them different from each other?

jishnu said:
Yeah you are right, even though I read it from there could not grasp more idea about that, some please help me with this,
is there difference in their units
Or what makes them different from each other?
The wikipedia explained it too

H units is A/m
B units is Wb/m2

Doc Al said:

Field from straight wire XY is 1.57 10^-5 Wb/m2
B at loop = ##u_o## I/2R
1.57 10^-5 Wb/m2 =( 4##\pi## 10^-7 • I ) / 2(0.1)
I = 2.5 A
It is still wrong btw..

When I solve for B from the straight wire, I get B = 10-6 T

Is the straight line wire infinitely long?

jishnu said:
Is the straight line wire infinitely long?
That's what I assume.

Doc Al said:
When I solve for B from the straight wire, I get B = 10-6 T
How come? ##u_0## I / 2##\pi##r

Helly123 said:
How come? ##u_0## I / 2##\pi##r
Oops, my bad. I agree with your result of 1.57 10-5.

Helly123 said:
Field from straight wire XY is 1.57 10^-5 Wb/m2
B at loop = ##u_o## I/2R
1.57 10^-5 Wb/m2 =( 4##\pi## 10^-7 • I ) / 2(0.1)
I = 2.5 A
It is still wrong btw..
My calculations agree with yours.

One thing that could explain the discrepancy: They refer to the loop as "doubly-rolled". Does that mean it's really two loops? (Which would make the required current half as much.)

Likes Helly123
Doc Al said:
One thing that could explain the discrepancy: They refer to the loop as "doubly-rolled". Does that mean it's really two loops? (Which would make the required current half as much.)
Yes. I think so. So it makes the current flow is 1.25 A for each loop?

Helly123 said:
Yes. I think so. So it makes the current flow is 1.25 A for each loop?
Right. (It's one current going through both turns of wire.)

Doc Al said:
Right. (It's one current going through both turns of wire.)
Awesome. Thanks @Doc Al

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnet or a moving electric charge experiences a force. It is represented by lines of force, also known as magnetic field lines, which show the direction and strength of the magnetic field.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges. This can happen naturally, such as in the Earth's core where molten iron creates a magnetic field, or artificially, such as in an electromagnet where electric current flowing through a wire creates a magnetic field.

3. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the total number of magnetic field lines passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

4. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux can be calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the area perpendicular to the field. It can also be calculated by integrating the dot product of the magnetic field and the area vector.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetic fields and flux?

Magnetic fields and flux have a wide range of practical applications. They are used in electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. They are also used in magnetic storage devices, such as hard drives, and in magnetic levitation trains.