Magnetic Force on a Vertically Moving Electron Near the Equator

In summary, the magnetic force on an electron is pointing in the opposite direction of the electron's movement.
soul5

Homework Statement

At a point near the equator, the Earth's magnetic field is horizontal and points to the north. If an electron is moving vertically upward at this point, what is the direction of the magnetic force acting on this? Explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the right-hand rule to find the direction of the force. If you don't know what the RHR is, look it up in Google.

I'm confused don't I use left hand rule when dealing with electrons?

no, no need for left hand rule. use RHR and reverse the results.

yes, listen to pinkenergy, use the right hand rule.

but lol...bc i am new to this, i can't say with certainty bc i kinda asked the SAME question a few threads below yours. i think magnetic FORCE would be pointing to the left for a proton, so it would be pointing to the right for an electron.

Last edited:
I'm kinda confused by which way the magnetic field is pointing but basically use your right hand and point it in the direction the electron is moving and then rotate your arm so that your palm is facing the direction of the magnetic field. Whatever you get for this is the opposite of the answer since it's an electron.

jcpwn2004 said:
I'm kinda confused by which way the magnetic field is pointing but basically use your right hand and point it in the direction the electron is moving and then rotate your arm so that your palm is facing the direction of the magnetic field. Whatever you get for this is the opposite of the answer since it's an electron.

I'm lost don't I use my palm to find force? My palm is magnetic force not field.

It's just simply F = q(vxB). The right hand rule always works, ALWAYS, you just have to keep in mind what the charge on the electron is (negative or positive?). The right hand rule works every time. That is why it is a rule.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space around a magnet where magnetic forces can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges and is represented by lines of force, also known as magnetic field lines.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges. This can occur naturally in materials with magnetic properties, such as iron, or can be created artificially using electricity. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire.

3. What is the difference between a magnetic field and an electric field?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges, while an electric field is created by stationary electric charges. Additionally, magnetic fields are always perpendicular to the direction of motion of the charges, while electric fields can be in any direction relative to the charges.

4. How do magnetic fields interact with each other?

Magnetic fields interact with each other through magnetic forces. Like poles (north and north or south and south) repel each other, while opposite poles (north and south) attract each other. The strength of the magnetic force depends on the strength of the magnetic fields and the distance between them.

5. How are magnetic fields used in everyday life?

Magnetic fields have many practical applications in everyday life. They are used in generators to produce electricity, in motors to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, in compasses for navigation, and in speakers and headphones to produce sound. Magnetic fields are also used in medical imaging devices like MRIs and in data storage devices like hard drives.