1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field and formulating an equation for a particle

1. Feb 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a general point on the line joining the two wires and a distance d
    away from the mid-point O.
    By summing the magnetic field due to currents of magnitude i flowing in both the wires in the senses you found in (c), show that, on the line joining the two wires, the magnetic field strength is given by:

B= μ0iD / π(D2 −d2)

2. Relevant equations
    B= μ0 i / π r

3. The attempt at a solution
    My diagram is attached.

Remembering that B(r) = μ0i / 2π r

From the diagram above then the position r of the arbitrary particle A from the right hand conductor would be the distance to the mid point D plus the distance to A and could be expressed as (D+d). whereas its position from the left hand conductor is the distance to the mid point minus the distance to A as (D - d). The vector cross product of the fields since they point in the same direction and at right angles to O would mean that the resultant is the product. Putting this together then r = (D + d)(D - d) which then equates to r = (D2 - d2).

The distance between the two conductors is then (D+D) = 2D. Putting this together then the distance r can be expressed as the ratio: r = (D2 - d2) / 2D.

I have a way to substitute r into the original equation... does this make sense?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted