Magnetic Field and Magnetic Force

In summary, the charged particle experiences four forces: into the page (F1), right along the x-axis (F2), left along the x-axis (F3), and zero net force (F4). F1 and F3 have the same magnitude, and F2 and F4 have a magnitude of qEF1=qE (Into the Page) + qvBsin(90) (Right along x axis) and qEF2=qE (Into the Page) + qvBsin(0) = qE (Into the Page) + 0, respectively.
ihearyourecho

Homework Statement

A positively charged particle moves through a region with a uniform electric field pointing into the page and a uniform magnetic field pointing toward the top of the page. The particle can have one of the four velocities shown in the figure .

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1126298/2/5416322074_76.jpg

A) Rank the four possibilities in order of decreasing magnitude of the net force (F1, F2, F3, and F4) the particle experiences.
Rank forces from largest to smallest.

B) Which of the four velocities could potentially result in zero net force?

Homework Equations

F=qvBsin(theta_

The Attempt at a Solution

WELL, in the equation F=qvBsin(theta), q, V, and B are negligible. Therefore, all the magnitude depends on in this case is the angle. Since the force is 0 if the velocity is parallel to the magnetic field, I thought V2 and V4 would be 0 and V1 and V3 would be a larger magnitude. This isn't the right answer though. Once I figure out part A, I should be able to do Part B. Where in my thinking was my logic flawed?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You did not count the electric field.

ehild

Where does the electric field come into play? It's not in the equation, is it? Or am I using the wrong equation...?

ihearyourecho said:
Where does the electric field come into play?
You have a charged particle in an electric field.
It's not in the equation, is it? Or am I using the wrong equation...?
You are only using 'half' of the correct equation. You need the full Lorentz force, which includes an electric force component as well as the magnetic force. Both fields exert their own force.

Err, we've never done "Lorentz force"

ihearyourecho said:
Err, we've never done "Lorentz force"
But you've done electric fields and forces, I hope.

"Lorentz force" is just the name for both electric and magnet forces combined: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/HFrame.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I guess we've just never done a problem like this before.
So F=qE + qvBsin(theta)

Since the Electric field is the same for all the forces, I'm still not sure how it applies.. Wouldn't it be the same as having a constant velocity for all of them, negligible?

I'm not trying to get you to do this for me, I just don't understand since I haven't seen something like this before

ihearyourecho said:
Since the Electric field is the same for all the forces, I'm still not sure how it applies.. Wouldn't it be the same as having a constant velocity for all of them, negligible?
The electric force will be the same in all cases. But that force is a vector and must be added to the magnetic force vector, which is different in each case, to get the net force.

Hint: Consider the relative directions of those two force vectors.

In my thinking, that still doesn't help

F=qE+qvBsin(theta)

F1=qE (Into the Page) + qvBsin(90) (Right along x axis)
F2=qE (Into the Page) + qvBsin(0) = qE (Into the Page) + 0 = qE (Into the Page)
F3=qE (Into the Page) + qvBsin(90) (Left along x axis)
F4=qE (Into the Page) +qvBsin(0) = qE (Into the Page) + 0 = qE (Into the Page)

In my mind, F1 and F3 still have the same magnitude, and that magnitude is greater than that of F2 and F4, which have the magnitude of simply qE

ihearyourecho said:
F1=qE (Into the Page) + qvBsin(90) (Right along x axis)
F2=qE (Into the Page) + qvBsin(0) = qE (Into the Page) + 0 = qE (Into the Page)
F3=qE (Into the Page) + qvBsin(90) (Left along x axis)
F4=qE (Into the Page) +qvBsin(0) = qE (Into the Page) + 0 = qE (Into the Page)
How are you determining the direction of the magnetic force? Hint: You need the right hand rule.

Why does the direction of the magnetic force matter if we're just trying to find the magnitude of it?

EDIT: Nevermind, one moment please

Okay, I got the right answer. I guess it all makes sense in retrospect, but I was totally lost throughout the whole thing until that last little bit of advice.

Thanks for your help man.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and is represented by lines of force that point from the north to the south pole of a magnet.

2. How is a magnetic field measured?

A magnetic field is measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device can detect the strength and direction of the magnetic field at a specific point in space. The unit of measurement for magnetic field is called a tesla (T).

3. What is the difference between a magnetic field and magnetic force?

A magnetic field is the region in which a magnetic force can be detected, while magnetic force is the actual force exerted on a charged particle by a magnetic field. In other words, a magnetic field is the cause of magnetic force.

4. How are magnetic fields and electric fields related?

Magnetic fields and electric fields are both components of the electromagnetic force. However, they are fundamentally different in nature. Electric fields are created by stationary electric charges, while magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges.

5. How are magnetic fields used in everyday life?

Magnetic fields have many practical applications in everyday life. They are used in generators to produce electricity, in motors to convert electricity into mechanical energy, and in MRI machines to produce detailed images of the body's internal structures. They are also used in credit cards, speakers, and compasses.