1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field and momentum

1. Nov 25, 2004 #1
    here is the question:

Protons having a kinetic energy of 8.6eV are moving in the positive x direction and enter a magnetic field B=0.0390 (k hat)T directed out of the plane of the page and extending from x=0 to x=1.08. Ignore relativistic effects

a) calculate the Y component of the protons momentum as they leave the magnetic field

Well i can find the velocity from the kinetic energy, but how can i find the momentum of the Y component when it leaves the magnetic field??

b) find the angle (alpha) b/w the initial velocity vector of the protom beam and the velocity vectr after the beam emerges from the field...

How could u find this angle? i hvae no idea
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2004 #2
    Here are some tips : suppose x axis is horizontal, y axis vertical and z axis points out of our paper towards us...Use the Lorentz force knowing that B = 0.039e_z and v is in the positive x direction. So F = qvB and think of what the position of F is with respect to the Y-axis. Calculate this force...this number (let's call it A) is equal to m*a and use this trick in order to calculate the velocity at x = 1.08 : a = dv/dt so you have that
    F = mdv/dt = A or m*dv =A*dt and dt = dt*dx/dx and put dt*dx at the right hand side of the equation in order to come to : m*dv*dx/dt = A*dx and dx/dt = v. Finally start integrating and your problem is solved...good luck

4. Nov 25, 2004 #3
    The angle of the velocity vector after leaving the B-field can be calculating by using the Lorentz-force, calculate the velocity from this formula (as shown above) and projecting it out onto the x-axis...

5. Nov 25, 2004 #4
    so i understand how u derived this formula: m*dv*dx/dt = A*dx and dx/dt = v

so im solving for dx/dt to find the y component right?

and A=qvB (velocity can be solved from the given kinetic energy)

and dx is just 1.08, since we are starting from an initial point of 0 to a final point of 1.08 right?

but how can i solve for dv?
  6. Nov 25, 2004 #5
    well on the left hand side you will have A * m*v*dv, if you integrate this you will have

[tex]A*m*\frac{v^2}{2}[/tex]...then fill in the beginvalue of v (v_i)(calculated from the given kinetic energy) and the endvalue is just v (v_f),which is asked...

so you have then [tex]A*m*\frac{v_f ^2- v_i^2}{2}[/tex]

7. Nov 25, 2004 #6
    isnt A suppose to be on the right side? hmm..this is what i got

m*dv*v= A*dx and dx/dt = v

m*((vf^2)-(vi^2))/2)* = A*dx

A*dx integrating u just get A*x and x=1.08..soo

m*((vf^2)-(vi^2))/2)* = A*x

i solve for vf, and it asks for momentum, so dont i just multiply the final velocity by the mass of the proton to find the momentum?

but i keep getting the wrong answer?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?