Magnetic field and π

1. Hi
    as you know according to ampere's law ∫B.dl=μ0I
    but why μ0 that appears in Maxwell's equations is exactly 4π *10-7 ?
    for example in electric field ε0 is 8.85 *10-12
    and μ0 like ε0 is a constant that is related to material properties and why this constant is a special number as π that B is special ?

2. jcsd
  3. tiny-tim

tiny-tim 26,041
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Amir! Welcome to PF! :smile:

From the PF Library on magnetic field …​

What is µ0?

µo is the conversion factor between tesla ([itex]T\ =\ N/A.m[/itex]) and amp-turns per metre ([itex]A/m[/itex]): so it has units of [itex]N/A^2[/itex].

Why isn't µo = 1 N/A2 (so that it needn't be mentioned)? :confused:

well, it would be :smile:, buuuut :rolleyes:

i] in SI units, a factor of 4π keeps cropping up! … so we multiply by 4π :wink:

ii] that would make the amp that current which in a pair of wires a metre apart would produce a force between them of 2 N/m …

which would make most electrical appliances run on micro-amps! :yuck: …

so, for practical convenience only, we make µo 107 smaller, and the amp 107 larger! :biggrin:

(so the amp is that current which in a pair of wires a metre apart would produce a force between them of 2 10-7 N/m, and µo is 4π 10-7 N/A2 (= 4π 10-7 H/m))

(for historical details, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_constant)

(And the electric constant (permittivity of free space), [itex]\varepsilon_o[/itex], is defined as 1/µ0c², = 107/4πc² C²/Nm² (or F/m).)

4. yes, your sentences is true ,but my query is that π is a number that related to sphere.but µo is a constant that related to environment.and why is a special number that has π ?
    µo is exactly 4π 10^-7 but if it is a constant about environment , why it is exactly a special number ? I think it should related to microscopic vacuum properties ,if isn't it ,why for other environments µ is not 4π *10^-7 ? and is a other number? but for free space is a special number like π !
    sorry for my english is not good.

5. tiny-tim

tiny-tim 26,041
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, µo is not related to the environment.

µo is simply the conversion factor between tesla and amp-turns per metre.

(of course, µ (for a material) is related to the material)

The 4π is a standard factor in SI units, since it naturally relates the strength of a source to its flux (because the field from the source spread out over an area 4πr2 instead of r2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?