1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field and Torque

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The 10-turn loop of wire shown in the figure lies in a horizontal plane, parallel to a uniform horizontal magnetic field, and carries a 2.0A current. The loop is free to rotate about a nonmagnetic axle through the center. A 50g mass hangs from one edge of the loop.

2. Relevant equations
    Torque = r x F
    Torque = IA x B

3. The attempt at a solution
    My thought was to simply calculate the torque created by the mass and then relate that with an opposite torque provided by the magnetic field. I suspect that I'm calculating the torque created by the hanging mass wrong, since I haven't really dealt with torques in some time.
    Torque = r x F -> .025m*.05kg*9.8m/s^2 = .01225 Nm
    Torque = IA x B -> Torque/IA = B -> .01225/(2.0A*(.05*.1)) = B = 1.225 T

If someone could help with what I'm overlooking here I would appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2009 #2
    never mind, I figured out that I have to use N (number of turns) in with mu.

4. Nov 18, 2009 #3
    Hey, I tried the same thing you did... how do you factor in the number of turns?

5. Nov 18, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF :smile:

For a 1-turn loop, the torque is what estanton had before:

T = I AxB​

If instead you have 10 loops, can you tell how that affects the torque?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook