Magnetic field at the center of a square conducting loop

In summary, a magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be detected, created by the movement of electrically charged particles. It is measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G), with one Tesla equaling 10,000 Gauss. A conducting loop is a closed circuit made of a conducting material, and when a current flows through it, it creates a magnetic field. The magnetic field is stronger at the center of a square conducting loop due to the symmetry of its shape. This can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2R, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the loop, and R is the radius of the loop.
sugz

Homework Statement

Problem and solution attached

Homework Equations

B = [4uI/(4pi)]sin(theta1-theta2]

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand fully how to do it except determining the value of theta1 and theta2. The solution says theta1 is 45(deg) and theta2 is -45(deg). How did they get those values?

Attachments

• chapter 30 q.PNG
    chapter 30 q.PNG
    9.1 KB · Views: 621
  • chapter 30 solution.PNG
    chapter 30 solution.PNG
    74 KB · Views: 649
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the geometrical interpretation of the angles θ1 and θ2? You might need to refer back to equation 30.4 in your textbook. There's probably a figure in the text that will be helpful.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be detected. It is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons.

2. How is magnetic field strength measured?

Magnetic field strength is measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G). One Tesla is equal to 10,000 Gauss.

3. What is a conducting loop?

A conducting loop is a closed circuit made of a conducting material, such as copper or aluminum. When a current flows through the loop, it creates a magnetic field.

4. Why is the magnetic field stronger at the center of a square conducting loop?

The magnetic field at the center of a square conducting loop is stronger because the loop's magnetic field lines are concentrated at the center due to the symmetry of the loop's shape.

5. How can the magnetic field at the center of a square conducting loop be calculated?

The magnetic field at the center of a square conducting loop can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2R, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the loop, and R is the radius of the loop.