Magnetic field at the center of the loop

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the calculation of the magnetic field at the center of a loop. The person asking the question has tried using different formulas but has not been able to get the correct answer. They are seeking help and asking if the loop should be treated as a single loop solenoid or if another method should be used. Another person chimes in and mentions the importance of considering the magnetic field from the long straight wire as well. Finally, someone provides an answer and reminds the person to do their own homework.
Heart
:confused:

Here's the question:
"What is the magnetic field at the center of the loop in the figure?"

OK, the question is really simple and it looks easy. However, when I put in the answer, it's wrong. I tried different methods/formulas but still got the wrong answers. Anyone cares to enlighten me?

First, I used the formula B = I(mju_0)N/2R:
- I is 5A
- mju_0 is 4pi * 10^-7
- N is 1
- R is 0.01 m
The wrong answer was 3.14×10-4 T.

I then tried modified B = (2*10^-7)I/R (I multiplied this equation w/ some whole numbers to account for the multi directions of the field - which I then realized that it was the wrong way) I still got the wrong answers.

I then think, hell, the field might cancel out to zero, which was still wrong. (Obviously, the field was in one direction.)

PLEASE HELP. I'm desperate. :cry:

Attachments

• 3254.jpg
    3254.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 515
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? What I don't get is I cannot treat it as a single loop solenoid? If not then what method should I use?

Please help.

It's not just a single loop. Don't neglect the field from the long straight wire.

people on this board do not seem to know a lot about electromagnetic. I posted two questions and so far no replies yet.

Doc Al provided an answer. We expect students to do their homework.

The key is superposition of two magnetic fields due to the long straight wire and the loop.

Meanwhile, we'll take a look at the other questions.

Last edited:

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, and can be influenced by magnets and electric currents.

How is the magnetic field at the center of a loop determined?

The magnetic field at the center of a loop is determined by the size, shape, and orientation of the loop, as well as the current flowing through it. Using mathematical equations, the strength and direction of the magnetic field can be calculated.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field at the center of the loop?

The strength of the magnetic field at the center of a loop is affected by the current flowing through the loop, the number of loops, and the distance from the center of the loop. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic field.

Is the magnetic field at the center of a loop uniform?

No, the magnetic field at the center of a loop is not uniform. It is strongest at the center and decreases in strength as you move away from the center. This is because the magnetic field lines are concentrated at the center, but spread out as you move away.

What are some practical applications of understanding the magnetic field at the center of a loop?

Understanding the magnetic field at the center of a loop is important in many applications, such as electromagnets, motors, and generators. It also plays a role in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines, as well as in navigation systems, such as compasses.