1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field change

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    A conducting loop of area 240cm^2 and resistance 14(Ohm symbol) lies at right angles to a spatially uniform magnetic field. The loop carries an induced current of 320mA .

At what rate is the magnetic field changing?

dB/dt= T/s

So, I use Faraday's Law

Which is That "E" Symbol..=d(magnetic Flux)_B_/dt

Im given resistance so Im assuming I can use the formula I=E/R ....I have R(14) and the induced current which is 320mA...
    So I can find "E"....
    But what do I do from there....Im pretty lost on this stuff....@_@
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2
    Rather than calling it an "E" symbol, its better if you call if emf (which is voltage...I'm sure you know this, its just that using E might get things confused with electric field). Faraday's law shows that a changing magnetic flux/field induces a voltage. So in this case, the changing magnetic field is inducing a voltage across the conducting loop. V = -d(PhiB)/dt, in which PhiB is magnetic flux. I = V/R, thus V = IR. With this you have the voltage. Magnetic flux is BAcos(theta). You have the angle and area and it doesn't seem that the problem says these 2 values are changing, so you can take them to be constant. So from this, you can evaluate dB/dt.
  4. Sep 28, 2008 #3
    Ok so....Ur using "V" as emf. Got it.
    dB/dt....the derivative...of..Where do I get "B" to even solve for mag. flux?
    I See V=(14)(320mA) so I have
    V=-d(phiB) which is BAcos(theta) But how do I get "B"?
    and once found what is my dt?
  5. Sep 28, 2008 #4
    d(phiB)/dt refers to derivative of magnetic flux in respect to time...if you're unfamiliar with calculus, then don't worry...in this case you could look at it as Delta(phiB)/Delta(t), which is equal to Delta(B*A*cos(theta))/Delta(t). Since A and cos(theta) are constant, you could pull those out so that it becomes A*cos(theta)*Delta(B)/Delta(t)...Delta(B)/Delta(t) refers to change in magnetic field over time, which is what you're looking for.
  6. Sep 29, 2008 #5
    And I can solve for B by using I=E/R Since I have "R and "I" and I know E is B(pi)r^2 and I know what "r" (since I know area)is I can solve for "B" using [B(pi)r^2)=IR Then I'll have "B" So I pull out my constants on the intergral so its A*cos (Delta B/Deltat)
    But How do I go about finding "t"?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?