1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field, current, and a slide wire

1. Mar 27, 2005 #1
    Hi, I really need help with this question.

Here's the question:

"The figure shows a U-shaped conducting rail that is oriented vertically in a horizontal magnetic field. The rail has no electric resistance and does not move. A slide wire with mass m and resistance R can slide up and down without friction while maintaining electrical contact with the rail. The slide wire is released from rest."

"Determine the value of a terminal velocity if l = 25.0 cm, m = 10.0 g, R = 0.100 ohms, and B = 0.550 T."

I know that V_emf = vlB
    I = V/R = vlB/R
    If I can find I, then I could determine v. The problem is they don't give V_emf, so I cannot find I. and I have no idea why would they give the mass for, when generally for this type of problem they don't. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2005 #2
    F = IlB
    P = Fv = (v^2)(l^2)(B^2)/R

I just don't see how could the mass be relevant to this problem. If it was a particle then may be I could use the mass to do something with the circular motion but this just doesn't make sense. Please help.
  4. Mar 27, 2005 #3
    I think I might get it now, I just didn't read the question carefully and miss the "vertical part".
  5. Mar 27, 2005 #4
    :eek: OK, I got it, still cannot believe I could miss the keyword "vertical". Thanks and sorry for this. Please don't get mad at me. I'm going to sleep now at almost 8 A.M. :zzz:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?