Magnetic field due to a solenoid

In summary, to find the magnetic field strength in this scenario, we use the equation B=u0nI, where u0 is the permeability constant, n is the number of turns in the coil, and I is the current flowing through the coil. To find the current, we use the equation for induced EMF, which is given by EMF = Blv. By rearranging the equation, we can solve for I and then use it to find B. In this case, the magnetic field strength is calculated to be 0.0012 Tesla.
musicmar

Homework Statement

A 5-turn coil 1.0 cm in diameter is rotated at 10 rev/s about an axis perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field. A voltmeter connected to the coil through rotating contacts reads a peak value of 360 uV. What is the magnetic field strength?

The Attempt at a Solution

B=u0nI
u0= 8.85 x 10-12 C2/N m2
n = 5

I'm not exactly sure how to find the current.

I know that the induced EMF = Blv, but I don't know what to do about length.
v=omega*r = 0.05 m/s

So, once I find either the length or the current, I should be able to find B.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your question. In order to find the magnetic field strength, we need to use the equation B=u0nI, where u0 is the permeability constant, n is the number of turns in the coil, and I is the current flowing through the coil. In this case, we are given the values of u0 and n, so we just need to find the current.

To find the current, we can use the equation for induced EMF, which is given by EMF = Blv. In this equation, l represents the length of the coil, v is the velocity of rotation, and B is the magnetic field strength. Since the coil is rotating at 10 rev/s, we can calculate the velocity as v = 2πr = 0.05 m/s, where r is the radius of the coil.

Now, we can rearrange the equation for EMF to solve for I, which gives us I = EMF/(Blv). Plugging in the values we know, we get I = (360 uV)/(B*5*0.05 m/s). Since the units for EMF are in volts, we need to convert 360 uV to volts, which gives us 0.00036 V. Plugging this value in, we get I = (0.00036 V)/(B*5*0.05 m/s).

Finally, we can solve for B by rearranging the equation to B = (0.00036 V)/(I*5*0.05 m/s). Plugging in the value we found for I, we get B = (0.00036 V)/(0.00072 A*0.05 m/s) = 0.0012 T.

So, the magnetic field strength is 0.0012 Tesla. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the steps. Good luck!

What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a long, cylindrical coil of wire that is used to create a magnetic field. It is typically made up of many loops of wire tightly wound together.

How is a magnetic field created by a solenoid?

A magnetic field is created by a solenoid when an electric current is passed through the wire. The magnetic field is strongest at the center of the solenoid and becomes weaker as you move away from the center.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field created by a solenoid?

The strength of the magnetic field created by a solenoid is affected by the number of loops in the coil, the amount of current passing through the wire, and the material of the core inside the solenoid.

What is the direction of the magnetic field inside a solenoid?

The magnetic field inside a solenoid is in the same direction as the current passing through the wire. This means that if the current is flowing from left to right, the magnetic field will also be pointing from left to right.

How is the magnetic field outside a solenoid different from inside?

Outside a solenoid, the magnetic field is much weaker and less uniform than inside the solenoid. The magnetic field lines outside the solenoid are also more spread out and curved, as opposed to being tightly packed and parallel inside the solenoid.