Magnetic field due to current

In summary, the reason why two proton beams going in the same direction repel each other while two wires carrying current in the same direction attract each other is because of the difference in the type of electrically charged particles present. The proton beams have only electrons, causing electrostatic repulsion, while the wires have both electrons and protons, resulting in no electrostatic repulsion. The only attraction between the wires is due to the moving electrons and the magnetic field of the other wire. The force of repulsion between the beams overpowers the attraction due to the magnetic field, resulting in a net repulsion.
physicsmaths1613
Question-
Two proton beams going in the same direction repel each other whereas two wires carrying current in the same direction attract each other. Why does this happen?
Attempt at the solution-
Two proton beams should be equal to two currents in the same direction then why are we getting two different results?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the case of two wires, are the wires electrically charged?

physicsmaths1613 said:
Question-
Two proton beams going in the same direction repel each other whereas two wires carrying current in the same direction attract each other. Why does this happen?
Attempt at the solution-
Two proton beams should be equal to two currents in the same direction then why are we getting two different results?
There is a difference between a beam of protons (or electrons) and a current in a wire. Can you think of what the difference is?

berkeman said:
There is a difference between a beam of protons (or electrons) and a current in a wire. Can you think of what the difference is?
TSny said:
For the case of two wires, are the wires electrically charged?
The wires are not charged as electrons are continuously flowing through them. The only difference between the two cases is that in one case electrons are enclosed in a conductor and in the other they aren't.
I find this question too confusing. What is the reason?

physicsmaths1613 said:
The wires are not charged as electrons are continuously flowing through them.
OK, so each wire has essentially zero net charge. What about the proton beams?

TSny said:
OK, so each wire has essentially zero net charge. What about the proton beams?
The protons are continuously flowing without any obstruction in the beam as well. So I think the net charge on the beam should be zero too. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

A proton beam is just a stream of protons. Does each proton carry any net charge?

TSny said:
A proton beam is just a stream of protons. Does each proton carry any net charge?
Yes each proton carries a net charge.But so does an electron. So if the stream of moving protons is considered charged, applying the similar logic the wire should also be considered charged. Is there any difference in the two cases?

What type of electrically charged particles are inside a piece of wire?

Likes physicsmaths1613
TSny said:
What type of electrically charged particles are inside a piece of wire?
Electrons, which are flowing just the same way as in a beam

Only electrons? Any other type of electrically charged particles inside the wire (that are not flowing)?

Likes physicsmaths1613
TSny said:
Only electrons? Any other type of electrically charged particles inside the wire (that are not flowing)?
Oh! I think I got your point. Beams have a net charge as they have only let's say electrons . so they repel due to electrostatic force. Whereas a wire is neutral due to the presence of both electrons and protons. So they is no electrostatic repulsion. Only attraction exists due to moving electrons and the magnetic field of the other wire.
Please point out my errors if any.
And one more question. Does the force of repulsion between the beams overpower the attraction due to magnetic field in between the beams resulting in net repulsion?
Thanks in advance!

physicsmaths1613 said:
Oh! I think I got your point. Beams have a net charge as they have only let's say electrons . so they repel due to electrostatic force. Whereas a wire is neutral due to the presence of both electrons and protons. So they is no electrostatic repulsion. Only attraction exists due to moving electrons and the magnetic field of the other wire.
Please point out my errors if any.
That's correct.
And one more question. Does the force of repulsion between the beams overpower the attraction due to magnetic field in between the beams resulting in net repulsion?
Yes. Good.

Likes physicsmaths1613
TSny said:
That's correct.

Yes. Good.
Thank you so much for helping me figure out the answer myself!

1. What is meant by "magnetic field due to current"?

The magnetic field due to current refers to the magnetic field that is created by the flow of electric current through a conductor. This magnetic field is responsible for the force between two current-carrying conductors and is used in many technologies such as motors, generators, and transformers.

2. How is the direction of the magnetic field due to current determined?

The direction of the magnetic field due to current is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current flow, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field. The direction of the magnetic field lines is perpendicular to the direction of the current flow.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field due to current?

The strength of the magnetic field due to current depends on the magnitude of the current, the distance from the current-carrying conductor, and the material of the conductor. The strength of the magnetic field also increases with the number of turns in a current-carrying coil.

4. How does the magnetic field due to current interact with other magnetic fields?

The magnetic field due to current can interact with other magnetic fields in various ways. If two magnetic fields are in the same direction, they will add together to create a stronger magnetic field. If they are in opposite directions, they will cancel each other out. The interaction between magnetic fields is the basis for many technological applications such as electric motors and generators.

5. Can the magnetic field due to current be shielded or redirected?

Yes, the magnetic field due to current can be shielded or redirected by using materials such as iron or mu-metal. These materials are able to redirect the magnetic field lines and reduce their strength. This is important in many electronic devices to prevent interference from external magnetic fields.