1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field due to ribbon

1. Mar 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Attached.

2. Relevant equations

18c46f530d5677cb1350db1bded02b48.png

3. The attempt at a solution

I've been meaning to do this question for a while now but don't have much of a strategy. I was informed that the ribbon should be treated as a series of parallel wires. The magnetic field at an arbitrary point P from a wire with a current flowing through it can be given by the biot-savart law. The magnetic field at a point P a distance r away from a single long wire is thus given by:
    magcur3.gif

Now, I have the suspicion that, since the ribbon comprises a whole bunch of wires, the total magnetic field due to the ribbon would simply be the result of an integration over the width of the ribbon. However I am having difficulty in figuring out the initial set up of the integral., and an appropriate parameterisation (if that is at all needed).

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right.

Which distances do the "parallel wires" have from P? What would you integrate over?

4. Mar 15, 2015 #3
    Well, from the diagram it'd seem that the bottom of the ribbon is R+(w/2) from P, and that R-(w/2) is the distance between P and the top of the ribbon. Would it then be a matter of using these as the limits of integration?

5. Mar 15, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted