1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field due to Solenoid

1. Mar 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A solenoid of length L and radius R lies on the y-axis between y=0 and y=L and contains N closely spaced turns carrying a steady current I. Find the magnetic field at a point along the axis as a function of distance a from the end of the solenoid.

2. Relevant equations
    Magnetic field on the axis (distance x from center) due to a current carrying ring : [itex]\vec{B}= \frac{\mu_o I R^2}{2(R^2 +x^2)^{3/2}}[/itex]
    Biot-Savart Law: [itex]\vec{B}=\frac{\mu_o I}{4\pi} \int_A^B \frac{\vec{ds}\mathbf{x}\vec{r}}{r^3}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    My best attempt is based around modelling the solenoid as a collection of current carrying rings covering a distance of L.

[itex]\vec{B}= \frac{\mu_o I R^2}{2(R^2 +x^2)^{3/2}}[/itex] for each ring of current

[itex]\vec{B}= \int_{l+a}^a \frac{\mu_o I R^2}{2(R^2 +x^2)^{3/2}}dx[/itex]

[itex]\vec{B}= \frac{\mu_o I R^2}{2} \int_{l+a}^a \frac{dx}{(R^2 +x^2)^{3/2}}[/itex]

Integrating via trig substitution, using x = Rtanθ, which implies [itex]dx=Rsec^2 θ dθ[/itex] and [itex](R^2 + x^2)^{3/2}=R^3 sec^3 θ[/itex]

[itex]\vec{B}= \frac{\mu_o I R^2}{2} \int_{x=l+a}^{x=a} \frac{Rsec^2 \theta d\theta}{R^3 sec^3 \theta}[/itex]

[itex]\vec{B}= \frac{\mu_o I}{2} \int_{x=l+a}^{x=a} \frac{d\theta}{sec\theta}[/itex]

[itex]\vec{B}= \frac{\mu_o I}{2} \int_{x=l+a}^{x=a} cos\theta d\theta[/itex]

[itex]\vec{B}= \frac{\mu_o I}{2} sin\theta [/itex] for x from x=l+a to x=a

Constructing a triangle from the substitution lets us find [itex]sin\theta[/itex] in terms of R and x:
    [itex]sin\theta = \frac{x}{(x^2 + R^2)^{1/2}}[/itex]

Finally,

[itex]\vec{B}= \frac{\mu_o I}{2}(\frac{a}{(a^2+R^2)^{1/2}} - \frac{l+a}{((l+a)^2 +R^2)^{1/2}})[/itex]

I'm reasonably sure this is wrong because the next part of the question implies a dependence on N, as well I think my modelling the solenoid as I did was a bit shaky, but I cannot think of another way to go about this.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well you should expect a dependence on N wouldn;t you? After all, the field due to 2 loops must be different from the field due to 1 loop right?

This is a standard problem - so you could just look it up and see how other people approach it.
    i.e. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/solenoid.html

4. Mar 8, 2014 #3

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

What you are actually doing here is integrating the field due to small section of the solenoid of length dx (which you later substitute the limits for the length of the solenoid) which is not necessarily a single loop, but consists of ndx loops, n being the loops per unit length.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted