Net magnetic field due to two wires

In summary, the problem involves two wires carrying opposite currents at a distance of 8.43 cm. The task is to calculate the net magnetic field at a point midway between the wires, using the direction out of the page as positive and into the page as negative. The equation used is 2*u0*i / 2*pi*r, with 2 representing the number of wires, u0 representing the permeability of free space, i representing the current, and r representing the distance between the wires. The final answer is 5.286E-5 T, but further steps are needed to confirm its accuracy. Step 1 involves drawing a diagram and marking relevant information, while Step 2 involves determining whether the fields will add or
carpelumen

Homework Statement

The two wires shown in the figure carry currents of I = 5.58 A in opposite directions and are separated by a distance of d0 = 8.43 cm.
Calculate the net magnetic field at a point midway between the wires. Use the direction out of the page as the positive direction and into the page as the negative direction in your answer.

http://tinypic.com/r/258ufyq/8

Homework Equations

2*u0*i / 2*pi*r

The Attempt at a Solution

2(4piE-7)(5.58) / 2(pi)(.04215) = 5.286E-5 THw system says it's incorrect, I don't know where to go from here :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1 is to draw a diagram, and mark on it relevant information. Identify the point of interest.
Step 2 is to decide whether the fields will [tend to] add or cancel at the point of interest. (Should they exactly cancel then there is no further calculation to be done!)
Step 3 is to finish working it out. How will you approach this?

1. What is the net magnetic field when two parallel wires are carrying currents in the same direction?

The net magnetic field in this case is the sum of the individual magnetic fields created by each wire. The magnetic field lines will be concentrated between the two wires, resulting in a stronger magnetic field.

2. How does the net magnetic field change when the currents in the two wires are in opposite directions?

When the currents are in opposite directions, the magnetic field lines will be directed in opposite directions as well. This will result in cancellation of the magnetic fields in the space between the two wires, resulting in a weaker magnetic field compared to the case when the currents are in the same direction.

3. Is the net magnetic field affected by the distance between the two wires?

Yes, the net magnetic field is affected by the distance between the two wires. The closer the wires are to each other, the stronger the magnetic field will be. As the distance between the wires increases, the magnetic field will become weaker.

4. How does the net magnetic field change when the currents in the wires are increased?

As the currents in the wires are increased, the strength of the magnetic fields created by each wire will also increase. This will result in a stronger net magnetic field between the two wires.

5. Can the net magnetic field be calculated using a specific formula?

Yes, the net magnetic field can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * I / 2π * d, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wire, and d is the distance between the wires.