1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field expansion in cylindrical coordinate

1. Oct 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Dear all, i am figuring the taylor expansion for magnetic field in cylindrical coordinate (r,theta,z). The taylor expansion is simple, however if i want to express the magnetic field in just z direction, i don't know to start. It is because i seen some books written:

Bz = Bo + B' z + 1/2B'' z^2 - 1/4 B'' r^2 +.... , where B' = partial Bz respect to z
    B'' = second partial Bz respect to z

I couldn't figure out why the '-1/4 B'' r^2' term is here.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Sorry that i could not how to start, so i just can show my work on the the taylor series of Bz = Bo + B' z + B''z^2/2! +B''' z^3/3! +....
    And i know that if the magnetic field is cylindrical , the curl and div of B is zero, and i get the relationship that

1/r partial (rB_r) respect to r + 1/r partial (B_theta) respect to theta + partial (B_z) respect to z = 0 --- (1) (from div B=0) AND
    1/r partial (B_z) respect to theta = partial (B_theta) respect to z --- (2) (from curl B= 0) AND
    partial (B_r) respect to z = partial (B_z) respect to r --- (3) (from curl B= 0) AND
    partial (rB_theta) respect to r = partial (B_r) respect to theta --- (4) (from curl B= 0)

Can anyone help me and give me some ideas? Thank you for your help and attention.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?