Magnetic Field / Force Problem

In summary, to support the wire against gravity by placing it in a magnetic field, we need a field with a magnitude of 9.19 mT and a direction from north to south. The direction of the field is determined by the direction of the current, not the charge of the wire.
bdh2991

Homework Statement

A straight 15g wire 2m long carries a current of 8A. The wire is parallel to the ground and aligned so that the current goes from east to west. You want to support the wire against gravity by placing the wire in a uniform magnetic field. What magnitude and direction of field do you need?

Homework Equations

LIB=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

i understand that the force has to counteract the force of gravity (LIB=mg) and for my magnetic field, B, i got 9.19 mT. This may be a really dumb question but wouldn't the direction of the field depend on if it is positively or negatively charged? and if it does depend on charge, how would you even know from the question?...i assumed it was a negative charge so in order to counteract gravity the magnetic field would have to be S to N. i ended up getting the question wrong but could someone explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to clarify a few things before providing an answer. Firstly, the question does not specify the charge of the wire, so we cannot assume that it is negatively charged. Secondly, the direction of the magnetic field does not depend on the charge of the wire, but rather on the direction of the current.

In this case, the wire is carrying a current from east to west, so the direction of the magnetic field would need to be perpendicular to the current, i.e. from north to south. This is because according to the right-hand rule, when you point your thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

To calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field, we can use the equation F = BIL, where F is the force required to counteract gravity, B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current, and L is the length of the wire. Rearranging this equation, we get B = F/(IL). Plugging in the values given in the question, we get B = (15g)(9.8m/s²)/(8A)(2m) = 9.19 mT.

Therefore, the magnitude of the magnetic field needed is 9.19 mT, and the direction should be from north to south. I hope this helps clarify any confusion and helps you in solving similar problems in the future.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be felt. It is created by the movement of electrically charged particles.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, protons, or ions. These particles have a property called magnetic dipole moment, which is the source of the magnetic field.

3. What is the difference between a magnetic field and a magnetic force?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be felt. The magnetic force is the force that acts on a magnet or a moving electrically charged particle in a magnetic field. In other words, the magnetic field is the cause of the magnetic force.

4. How can I determine the direction of a magnetic field?

The direction of a magnetic field can be determined using a compass needle. The north pole of a compass needle aligns with the direction of the magnetic field lines, which point from the north pole to the south pole of a magnet.

5. How does the strength of a magnetic field affect the magnetic force?

The strength of a magnetic field directly affects the magnetic force. The stronger the magnetic field, the greater the magnetic force acting on a magnet or a moving electrically charged particle. This relationship is described by the equation F = qvB, where F is the magnetic force, q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field strength.