1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field formulation!

1. Mar 18, 2010 #1
    Hi,
    Why the magnetic field's formula is B=k2i/r.Where does come from?Please prove to me.Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2010 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's a couple of ways to derive the equation for the magnetic field of a long wire. Ampère's Law is probably the easiest way.

Ampère's Law states

[tex] \oint _C \vec B \cdot \vec {dl} = \mu _0 I _{enc} [/tex]

Where where the integral involves any arbitrary closed path (meaning the path must start and end at the same point -- in other words a loop). [tex] \mu _0 [/tex] is the permeability of free space, and Ienc is the current flowing through the loop.

Consider a very long wire with current flowing through it. Now imagine tracing out a hoop around the wire, such that the wire passes through the middle of the hoop. The hoop as a radius r.

Now we can solve Ampère's Law in cylindrical coordinates. Note that in spherical coordinates, [tex] dl = rd \phi [/tex]. Putting this together gives us

[tex] \int _0 ^{2 \pi} \vec B \cdot r\vec {d \phi} = \mu _0 I _{enc} [/tex]

Note that r is a constant, here. Also note that the magnitude of B is also a constant due to cylindrical symmetry. So if we work with just the magnitudes, we can pull B and r out from under the integral.

[tex] Br \int _0 ^{2 \pi} d \phi = \mu _0 I _{enc} [/tex]

[tex] = 2 \pi r B = \mu _0 I _{enc} [/tex]

[tex] B = \frac{\mu _0}{2 \pi}\frac{I}{ r} [/tex]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook