1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field from Crossed Wires

1. Feb 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two wires are both 22.3 meters in length and carry perpendicular currents as shown the the left. I1 = 4.5 A and I2 = 6.3 A. Points A and B are located an equal distance from both wires with d = 17 cm.
    a) What strength of the magnetic field at A?
    c) What strength of the magnetic field at B?

2. Relevant equations
    SIGMA B DELTA L=MEWo * I
    F = ILBSIN(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem gives the following 'help' features:
    HELP: Use Ampere's Law
    HELP: YOu can just add up the separate magnetic field strengths from both wires separately
    HELP: Did you take into account the direction of the field from each wire?

I am having trouble relating equations that would take distance between the wire and the points (diagram at this link: https://wug-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/cc/shell/DuPage/Phys1202/spring-evening/tma.pl?Ch-22-B-Fields/B_from_crossed_wires#pr [Broken] )
    ... I've tried to individually add the values for field strengths, (1.257e-6 * 4.5)/(22.3) + ((1.257e-6 * 6.3)/(22.3), I've also tried changing the signs in the different possibilities, any proper equations would be helpful, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted