Magnetic Field from Two Wires problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the magnitude of the net magnetic field created by two wires at a point L. The formula for the magnetic field from a current carrying wire is given, but the direction of the field must also be taken into account using the right hand rule. The direction of the field from wire 1 at point L is perpendicular to the line from point 1 to L, and the angle it makes with the horizontal (x-axis) can be found using a right triangle formed by the two wires and point L.
Badger
Hi, can someone help me out? I've tried 5 different solution that I thought were definitely right and they all give me the same response: "Your answer is off by a multiplicative factor."

Homework Statement

189576A.jpg

Find the magnitude of the net magnetic field B_L created at point L by both wires.
Express your answer in terms of I, d, and appropriate constants.

Homework Equations

[tex]
B_{\rm wire}=\frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi d} ,
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The question before this: there was a question:

Point L is located a distance d\sqrt 2 from the midpoint between the two wires. Find the magnitude of the magnetic field B_1L created at point L by wire 1.I put in the answer and got it right.
[tex]
B_1L =\left({\mu}_{0}I\right)/\left[2{\pi}\sqrt{\left(d^{2}+\left(d\sqrt{2}\right)^{2}\right)}\right]
[/tex]

So for the question at hand, I put in the same equation and multiplied by 2, figuring the net force would be the 2 separate forces added, which are equal since they both give the same direction of magnetic force and to do the same degree.

It didn't work.

So maybe it works like a loop since the top current is coming out at distance d and the bottom current is going in at distance d. d is now a radius.

so I tried
render.gif

Also wrong. Tried to input it in various ways, ^(3/2), cancel out the pi's. Still wrong, "my answer is off by a multiplicative factor."

Help would be awesome!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Badger said:
So for the question at hand, I put in the same equation and multiplied by 2, figuring the net force would be the 2 separate forces added, which are equal since they both give the same direction of magnetic force and to do the same degree.
While the magnetic field from each wire does have the same magnitude, they point in different directions. So you can't just double the field of one to get the field of both. Add them like vectors (which they are).

While you have the correct formula for the magnitude of the field from a current carrying wire, what's the direction of that field? (Hint: Use the right hand rule.)

I think I get what your saying.

Point 1 @ L will have a up-right vector for B. Point 2 @ L will have a down-right vector for B. Both will be a hypetnuse of equal magninute. The y's will cancel. But I don't see how I determine the x-components that add up. I need angle an angle or at least another side to do some trig and I'm not sure how to go about it. Is it 180 degrees minus the angle created by the d and d(sqr-root(2))?

The direction of the field from wire 1 at L is perpendicular to the line from point 1 to L. The angle it makes with the horizontal (x-axis) is the same angle as you'll find in the upper corner of the right triangle formed by 1-K-L.

I still didnt get it... can you explain more?

1. What is a magnetic field from two wires problem?

A magnetic field from two wires problem refers to a scenario in which two parallel wires carrying electric current are placed near each other, resulting in a magnetic field being produced between them.

2. How is the magnetic field from two wires calculated?

The magnetic field from two wires can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which takes into account the distance between the wires, the current flowing through them, and the angle between the wires.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field from two wires?

The direction of the magnetic field from two wires is perpendicular to the plane containing the wires, and it follows the right-hand rule. This means that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current in one wire, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the distance between the wires affect the magnetic field?

The magnetic field from two wires decreases as the distance between the wires increases. This is because the wires are farther apart, and the magnetic field lines are more spread out, resulting in a weaker overall field.

5. What is the practical application of understanding the magnetic field from two wires problem?

Understanding the magnetic field from two wires problem is essential in many real-world applications, such as designing electric motors, transformers, and other electromagnetic devices. It also helps in understanding the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields, which is crucial in fields like particle physics and plasma physics.