Magnetic field generators

1. Is it possible to make a magnetic field generat something to contain something in a compact form like say i wanted to make it thin and tube like to hold electricty or plasma something in which is to dangerous to hold but could be contained in a magnetic field sorry if im being a bit confusion im just saying if i wanted to make a strong magnetic field how would i do so and if its possible to compact like a handheld device
    :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Chi Meson

Chi Meson 1,767
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

" make it thin and tube like to hold electricty or plasma"
    "compact like a handheld device"

I'm not going to say it's impossible, just... well, let's say that there's a Nobel Prize waiting for you if you make this.

Are you trying to be "Magneto"? Or are you doing fusion experiments?
  4. Doc

Doc 0

We already have something that holds electricity, or at least electricity as defined in the dictionary. It's called WIRE.
  5. Doc,

I believe you are incorrect. Wire
    is not used to hold electricity
    is the sence of storage that the
    question implied.

A capacitor is closer to what he
    was interested in, but still does-
    nt fit the bill.

6. Doc

Doc 0

I checked a little closer. The word electricity is not defined too well. It is pretty broad. However, they define dynamic electricity similar to how I described it in my previous post. At any rate, storing electrons staticly such as in a capacitor is nothing new either.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?