1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field generators

1. Aug 18, 2003 #1
    Is it possible to make a magnetic field generat something to contain something in a compact form like say i wanted to make it thin and tube like to hold electricty or plasma something in which is to dangerous to hold but could be contained in a magnetic field sorry if im being a bit confusion im just saying if i wanted to make a strong magnetic field how would i do so and if its possible to compact like a handheld device
    :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2003 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

" make it thin and tube like to hold electricty or plasma"
    "compact like a handheld device"

I'm not going to say it's impossible, just... well, let's say that there's a Nobel Prize waiting for you if you make this.

Are you trying to be "Magneto"? Or are you doing fusion experiments?

4. Aug 20, 2003 #3

Doc

We already have something that holds electricity, or at least electricity as defined in the dictionary. It's called WIRE.

5. Aug 20, 2003 #4
    Doc,

I believe you are incorrect. Wire
    is not used to hold electricity
    is the sence of storage that the
    question implied.

A capacitor is closer to what he
    was interested in, but still does-
    nt fit the bill.

zoob

6. Aug 21, 2003 #5

Doc

I checked a little closer. The word electricity is not defined too well. It is pretty broad. However, they define dynamic electricity similar to how I described it in my previous post. At any rate, storing electrons staticly such as in a capacitor is nothing new either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook