Magnetic Field given two wires

In summary, the question is about calculating the magnetic field at a specific point between a pair of insulated wires carrying a 29 A dc current. The correct equations for solving this are provided, but the values for r1 and r2 are different because they are measuring the distance from the midpoint of the wires to the point where the magnetic field is being calculated. This is due to the wires being 2.8 mm apart.
jamesbiomed

Homework Statement

A long pair of insulated wires serves to conduct 29 A of dc current to and from an instrument.

(a) If the wires are of negligible diameter but are 2.8 mm apart, what is the magnetic field 10 cm from their midpoint, in their plane (see figure)?

http://www.webassign.net/gianpse3/28-31.gif

Homework Equations

B = µ0*I/(2*π) * (1/r1 - 1/r2).

µ0 = 4*π*10^-7 T*m/A

B = 2*10^-7*I*(1/r1 - 1/r2)

r1 = .0986 m
r2 = .1014 m

The Attempt at a Solution

The equations above are the correct method for solving this, its from yahoo answers. My question is about the values for r. They add up to .2, which I'm guessing is because the current is going in opposite directions. But I do not understand why they are not the same, given that all the dimensions are identical.

Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The reason why the values for r1 and r2 are not the same is because they are measuring the distance from the midpoint of the wires to the point where you are calculating the magnetic field. Since the wires are 2.8 mm apart, you need to consider the distance to each wire separately.

For example, if you are calculating the magnetic field at a point 10 cm from the midpoint, r1 would be the distance from the midpoint to the first wire (which is 2.8 mm/2 = 1.4 mm), plus the distance from the first wire to the point where you are calculating (10 cm), giving a total distance of 10.0014 cm. Similarly, r2 would be the distance from the midpoint to the second wire (2.8 mm/2 = 1.4 mm), plus the distance from the second wire to the point where you are calculating (10 cm), giving a total distance of 10.0014 cm.

I hope this helps clarify the issue. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Scientist

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a force field that surrounds a magnet or a current-carrying wire, and exerts a force on other magnets or moving charges.

How is a magnetic field created by two wires?

A magnetic field is created when electric current flows through a wire. When two wires are placed parallel to each other and a current flows through them in the same direction, the magnetic fields created by the wires will interact and produce a stronger magnetic field between them.

What is the relationship between the distance of the wires and the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field between two wires is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that the closer the wires are to each other, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic field between two wires?

The direction of the current in the wires determines the direction of the magnetic field. If the currents are flowing in the same direction, the magnetic field will be stronger, and if they are flowing in opposite directions, the magnetic field will be weaker.

What are some real-world applications of magnetic fields created by two wires?

Magnetic fields created by two wires are used in many everyday devices such as motors, generators, and speakers. They are also used in medical imaging machines like MRI scanners and in transportation systems like maglev trains.