Magnetic Field Homework Question

In summary, two long, straight wires with currents of 3.7 A and 4.0 A, oriented perpendicular to the computer screen, are shown in Figure 22-43 with a distance of 6.0 cm. Using the formula for magnetic force and the Pythagorean theorem, the magnitude and direction of the net magnetic field at point P is calculated to be 2.1767x10^-5 T, with a horizontal component of 1.233x10^-5 T and a vertical component of -1.233x10^-5 T. The right hand rule is used to determine the correct direction of the magnetic field from each wire.
wr1015
Two long, straight wires are oriented perpendicular to the computer screen, as shown in Figure 22-43, in which L = 6.0 cm. The current in one wire is I1 = 3.7 A, pointing into the screen, and the current in the other wire is I2 = 4.0 A, pointing out of the screen. Find the magnitude and direction of the net magnetic field at point P.

http://server5.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=1fZ6ef1d174f6G10F7f41d4e154C3d9c

ok so first off i used pythagorean theorem to find the straight line distance from point to the wire coming out of the page and used that as [tex]r_{2}[/tex]. then, i used the formual for magnetic force to find the force on point P from the two wires [tex] B = \mu_{0}I_{1}/2 \pi r_{1}[/tex] and [tex] B= \mu_{0}I_{2}/2 \pi r_{2}[/tex] and added the results. The answer I'm getting is wrong.. any suggestions?? i know the current in each of the wires are going in opposite directions so the forces repel but how does that relate to a point??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
for a more detailed description of what i did:

[tex]B= (4 \pi x 10^-7)(3.7A)/(2 \pi (.06m) + (4 \pi x 10^-7)(4.0A)/(2 \pi (.0848m))[/tex] which gave [tex]2.1767x10^-5 T[/tex]

Last edited:
You have to add the two B's vectorially. B1 is horizontal.
B2 makes and angle of 45 degrees.

Meir Achuz said:
You have to add the two B's vectorially. B1 is horizontal.
B2 makes and angle of 45 degrees.

like this??:

[tex]I_{1}_{y}[/tex]= (4[tex]\pi[/tex]x 10[tex]^-7[/tex])(3.7)/(2[tex]\pi[/tex](.06)) which gives 1.233x10[tex]^-5[/tex]

[tex]I_{1}_{x}[/tex]= 0

then, [tex]I_{2}_{y}[/tex]= (4[tex]\pi[/tex]x 10 [tex]^-7[/tex])(4.0)/(2[tex]\pi[/tex](.0848)(sin 45[tex]^0[/tex])

[tex]I_{2}_{x}[/tex]= (4[tex]\pi[/tex]^-7[/tex](4.0)/(2[tex]\pi[/tex](.0848)(cos 45[tex]^0[/tex])

then use pythagorean theorem again to find the total force??

Last edited:
I_1y=0. I_1x=what you have for I_1y.
I_2x and I_2y are both negative.
Then use Phyth for magniktude of B.
You should know the right hand rule to give you the correct direction of
B from each wire.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnet or a moving electric charge experiences a force. It is represented by lines of force that point from the north pole of a magnet to the south pole.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges. This can be done by passing an electric current through a wire or by the motion of electrons within an atom.

3. What are the units of measurement for magnetic field?

The units of measurement for magnetic field are tesla (T) or gauss (G). Tesla is the standard unit in the International System of Units (SI), while gauss is commonly used in non-SI units.

4. What is the difference between a magnetic field and an electric field?

While both magnetic and electric fields are fundamental forces of nature, they have different properties. A magnetic field is produced by moving charges, while an electric field is produced by stationary charges. Additionally, magnetic fields can only exert force on moving charges, whereas electric fields can exert force on both moving and stationary charges.

5. How is the strength of a magnetic field measured?

The strength of a magnetic field is measured by using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect the strength and direction of a magnetic field. The strength is typically measured in tesla (T) or gauss (G), depending on the unit system being used.