1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field homework

1. May 8, 2006 #1
    Can anyone point me in the right direction to do this question (i.e the correct law to use, or correct method). I have no idea where to even start with this.

It says:
    A current path is shown below, with an arc radius R =1.2m, and carries a current of i = 10 amps. Find the magnetic field at P if the arc subtends an angle of pi/6 at P.

[​IMG]

(Sorry about the quality of my diagram)

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2006 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The straight portions of the wire do not contribute to a magnetic field at point P. Only a "portion of a loop" (where the number of turns, N, is less than 1.0) will contribute to this field.

4. May 8, 2006 #3
    Thank you. It makes sense now and (I think) I know where to look in my notes.

5. May 8, 2006 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

So you can either do the integration of the Biot-Savart law, or use the trick that Chi is hinting at to do it quicker. Or do both to check your work.

6. May 8, 2006 #5
    I think you need Ampere's law for this: nabla x B = J/mu (or the integral version of it)

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  7. May 8, 2006 #6
    I was going to use the Biot-Savart law (but its very confusing). Whats this other trick that is being hinted at then?

8. May 8, 2006 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Probably in the textbook they do the example problem of finding the magnetic field at the center of a loop of current....

9. May 8, 2006 #8
    This is my worked answer. Does it make sense to you?

Loop makes 1/12 the field of a full loop
    [tex]B = \frac{\mu_{0} I}{4\pi R^2}*(\frac{2\pi}{12}*R)\\ = \frac{4\pi*10^-^7 * 10}{4\pi * 1.2^2} * (1.2*\frac{2\pi}{12})\\ = 4.36 * 10^-^7 T[/tex]

Using the right hand rule, the field will be pointing out of the screen.

(Sorry about my graphics - I hope they make sense. I've never used them before)

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  10. May 9, 2006 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is what I get. The special case equation for the B at the center of a loop is (mu I N)/2r , where N is the number of turns of wire inthe loop. As you can see, N can be a fraction of a single turn as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?