1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field. I need help on understanding this problem.

1. Apr 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two long parallel conductors carry currents I_1 = 3.0A and I_2 = 3.0A, both directed into the page. Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant magnitude field at point p?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I need help with this problem. The professor only provided the answer but not the steps. I'm having a hard time understanding what to do. I can do all the other problems, but when it comes to a problem like this (with having to apply vectors) I do not know what to do. Help me.

First I tried drawing the magnetic fields (figure 2). Then I found the angles - 23 degrees and 67 degrees.

I am stuck after this. How do I solve using vectors?

Attached Files:

• 79.jpg
      79.jpg
      File size:
      9.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Apr 11, 2013 #3
    what do you mean by tangential?

5. Apr 11, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The B field around a wire follows circles - at distance r, the B vector will be a tangent to the circle, centered on the wire, with radius r.

Is ##\vec{B}_1## the field due to ##I_1## and ##\vec{B}_2## the field due to ##I_2##?
    If so, they are pointing in the wrong directions. Please see the accompanying link.

6. Apr 11, 2013 #5
    oh yes, im sorry. your correct. i miswrote the B1 and B2.

7. Apr 11, 2013 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK - so... do you know how to add vectors?

8. Apr 11, 2013 #7
    hmm is the special right triangle the triangle with the 90 degrees or is it the one with the added vectors?

9. Apr 11, 2013 #8
    i know how to add vectors like moving head to tail, but not very well when it comes to the math.

10. Apr 11, 2013 #9
    so at this point i would get a resultant vector that goes straight down. but im confuse. do i do the x and y component for B1 and B2 separately or do i do the x and y component for the resultant component?

11. Apr 11, 2013 #10

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

To use x-y components you need to define an x and y axis - which is not provided for you.
    Instead you should use the head-to-tail triangle of vectors and your knowledge of trigonometry.

One special triangle you have is the pythagorean triplet 5-12-13 ... point P is at the right angle.
    It is probable that the B vectors also make two sides of a special triangle. They do conveniently make a right-angle with each other. If the resultant vector does go straight down, then it must be 5-12-13 as well.

There are lots of ways of specifying the direction of a vector.
    If you label the position of I1 as Q and I2 and R, then the straight down direction is the Q-R direction ... or "parallel to ##\overrightarrow{QR}##"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted