Magnetic field in 3 dimensions

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnetic field on the y-axis at point P. The magnetic field due to the x-axis wire at P is out of the paper with a value of 3uT, while the magnetic field due to the z-axis wire at P is into the paper with a value of 4uT. However, the resultant is only 1uT, which does not match the expected value of 5uT. The direction of the magnetic field due to the z-axis wire at P is into the paper, as shown in the diagram.
Physicslearner500039
Homework Statement
One long wire lies along an x axis and carries a current of 30A in the positive x direction. A second long wire is perpendicular to the xy plane, passes through the point (0,4.0 m, 0), and carries a current of 40 A in the positive z direction. What is the magnitude of the resulting magnetic field at the point (0,2.0 m, 0)?
Relevant Equations
Magnetic field due to long wire (μ0*i)/(2*π*r)
Prob1.JPG

The problem is as above, My attempt is as below but there is lot of effort in terms of imagining and not very confident,
Required the magnetic field on the y-axis let us say point P.
The magnetic field due to the x-axis wire is out of the paper at P with the values as R=2.0m, i =30A.
B1 = (μ0*i)/(2*π*r) = (4*π*(10^-7)* 30)/(2*π*2) = 3uT,
For the Z axis wire the magnetic field is again into the paper at P with the values as R=2.0m, i = 40A
B2 = (μ0*i)/(2*π*r) = (4*π*(10^-7)* 40)/(2*π*2) = 4uT. The resultant is 1uT. The answer does not seem to match it is 5uT. Please advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
The two fields are not parallel to each other.

Last edited:
Physicslearner500039 said:
For the Z axis wire the magnetic field is again into the paper at P
Really?

Really?
Yes it is coming out of the paper.

For the Z axis wire the magnetic field is again into the paper at P
How did you conclude this?

(I assume the paper is in the xy-plane, i.e. perpendicular to the z-axis at z = 0.)

Likes Physicslearner500039
Yes

Yes
Good. From the diagram, what is the direction of the magnetic field at the red dot due to current ##I_2##?

Yes i think it is in positive X direction. Am i correct?

Yes :oldsmile:

1. What is a magnetic field in 3 dimensions?

A magnetic field in 3 dimensions is a three-dimensional region surrounding a magnetic object or current-carrying wire, where magnetic forces are present. It is represented by lines of force that indicate the direction and strength of the magnetic field.

2. How is a magnetic field in 3 dimensions different from a 2-dimensional field?

A magnetic field in 3 dimensions is different from a 2-dimensional field because it includes the z-axis, which allows for a more accurate representation of the direction and strength of the magnetic field. In a 2-dimensional field, only the x and y-axis are considered, limiting the amount of information that can be conveyed.

3. What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field in 3 dimensions?

The strength of a magnetic field in 3 dimensions is affected by the distance from the source of the field, the magnitude of the current or magnetic object, and the orientation of the field lines. Additionally, the presence of other magnetic fields can also influence the strength of a 3-dimensional magnetic field.

4. How is a magnetic field in 3 dimensions measured?

A magnetic field in 3 dimensions is typically measured using a magnetometer, which detects the strength and direction of the magnetic field. Magnetometers can be handheld devices or larger instruments used in scientific research.

5. What are some real-world applications of a magnetic field in 3 dimensions?

Magnetic fields in 3 dimensions have a wide range of applications, including in motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in medical imaging technologies, such as MRI machines, and in navigation systems, such as compasses and GPS devices. Additionally, magnetic fields in 3 dimensions are crucial in studying the Earth's magnetic field and its effects on the planet.