1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field in a cavity

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We are given an infinitely long cylinder of radius b with an empty cylinder (not coaxial) cut out of it, of radius a. The system carries a steady current (direction along the cylinders) of size I. I am trying to find the magnetic field at a point in the hollow. I am told that the answer is that the magnetic field is uniform throughout the cavity. and is proportional to [itex]d\over b^2-a^2[/itex] where [itex]d[/itex] is the distance between the centers of the cylinders.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have found by using Ampere's law that the magnetic field at a point at distance r from the axis in a cylinder of radius R carrying a steady current, I, is given by [itex]\mu_0 I r\over 2\pi R^2[/itex]. So I thought I would use superposition. But what I get is [itex]{\mu_0 I \sqrt{(x-d)^2+y^2}\over 2\pi b^2}-{\mu_0 I \sqrt{(x)^2+y^2}\over 2\pi a^2}[/itex]. However this is not the given answer!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2
    You are on the right track, but you have to superpose the magnetic field vectors.

4. Feb 29, 2012 #3
    @M Quack: Thank you. I don't know how to change these into vectors, could you please kindly give me another nudge? Thanks again.

5. Feb 29, 2012 #4
    The magnetic field generated by a long wire goes right around the wire. So it is perpendicular to the raidal vector.

If the wire is along (0,0,z) and your point at (x,y,z), you know that B_z=0 and that
    B is perpendicular to (x,y,0). What vector has these properties?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook