1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field in a loop

1. Mar 7, 2005 #1
    Hey, I was wondering, how do you find the magnetic field at any point in a circular loop with current? Because, is it constant?(although, when you break it up its related to 1/r instead of 1/r^2, which leads me to believe that it will not be uniform).

So would I just have to do some calculus and find it out the hard way? Or will it stay uniform and easy.

=/

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2005 #2

Yep, you have to do some calculus and make use of the Biot-Savart law. The field is not uniform, unfortunately. Actually, to find the field off-axis might be pretty hard. If it were an infinitely long solenoid (cylinder shape) instead of just a single loop, you would know the field was uniform by symmetry, and could apply Ampere's law to a rectangle enclosing some of the current.

Just a heads-up: If you can find the book Electricity and Magnetism by E. M. Purcell at the library, you'd be doing yourself a big favor to look through it. It is a great book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook