Magnetic Field in a Slinky

In summary, the conversation is about a lab in physics where sensors are being used to find the magnetic field within a slinky with a current flowing through it. The resulting graph shows a sine wave and the question is whether the wave equation for an electromagnetic wave can be used to find the magnitude of the magnetic field. The equation for the b field inside the coil is given as B= \mu _o I N, where N is the number of turns and I is the current. In an AC circuit, the current is represented by I_o = \frac{V_o}{|z|}sin(\omega t +\phi), where \phi is determined by \phi = tan(\frac{\chi_L}{R}) and \
torquey123
I'm trying to do this lab in physics where we are using sensors to find the magnetic field within a slinky with a current flowing through. Our graph(of time vs.magnetic field) keeps coming out as a sine wave. Is the wave equation for an electromagnetic wave applicable to find the magnitude of the magnetic field? My teacher and I are both a little bit confused, so some guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
did you plug the slinky into the wall ? the mains power supply is alternating current.

the b field inside the coil is approximated by

[tex]B= \mu _o I N [/tex]
where N is the number of turns and I is the current. in an AC circuit I would be

[tex] I_o = \frac{V_o}{|z|}sin(\omega t +\phi)[/tex] where [tex]\phi[/tex] is determined by
[tex]
\phi = tan(\frac{\chi_L}{R})[/tex]
and
[tex]\chi _L = \omega L [/tex]

if you don't understand of this say so and i will try to explain

Last edited:

Yes, the wave equation for an electromagnetic wave can be used to find the magnitude of the magnetic field in a slinky. This is because the slinky, with a current flowing through it, is acting as a conductor and thus producing an electromagnetic wave. The sine wave pattern on the graph is a result of the alternating current in the slinky, which creates a changing magnetic field. By using the wave equation, you can calculate the amplitude of the magnetic field at any given point in time. Keep in mind that the magnitude of the magnetic field may also depend on factors such as the distance from the slinky and the strength of the current. If you are still unsure, I would recommend consulting with your teacher or conducting further research on the topic.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force that surrounds a magnet or a moving electric charge. It is represented by lines of force that show the direction and strength of the field.

How does a Slinky create a magnetic field?

A Slinky creates a magnetic field when it is stretched or compressed. This movement causes a change in the electric current within the metal coils, which in turn generates a magnetic field.

Can a Slinky's magnetic field be detected?

Yes, a Slinky's magnetic field can be detected using a compass. The compass needle will align with the magnetic field lines created by the Slinky.

What factors affect the strength of a Slinky's magnetic field?

The strength of a Slinky's magnetic field depends on the number of coils in the Slinky, the material of the Slinky, and the rate of movement or vibration of the Slinky.

Can a Slinky's magnetic field be manipulated?

Yes, a Slinky's magnetic field can be manipulated by changing the orientation of the Slinky or by changing the direction and strength of the electric current passing through it.