1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field in a solenoid

1. Apr 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    During a lab we used a 570turn solenoid powered by a current of 5amp. For the last part of the experiment we were to take several measurements of the field strength accross the cross-section of the solenoid. So we moved the field sensor around inside the solenoid and made our readings. However we are suppose to compare the calculated field values to our experimental values. I have no idea what equation to use for this type of problem. we only recorded x values of the position in reference to the cross-section of the solenoid. I know I have no relavant equations to give but my question is what equation should we use or can someone direct me in the right way of finding such an equation.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2009 #2
    any ideas how to calculate b field with such an experiment?

4. Apr 5, 2009 #3
    Any electromagnetics field book will have this equation. If you don't have one, the equation is very easy to find on-line.

http://www.utc.edu/Faculty/Tatiana-Allen/magfield.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook