1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field in conductor

1. Mar 17, 2009 #1
    I have two conductors in no magnetic material such as copper. One has diameter 20mm and other has diameter 50mm and both through by same current about 100A. Where do i have the maxi magnetic field on surface of conductor...I tinks on conductor with diameter 20mm..Is exactly ???

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2009 #2

clem

Science Advisor

For the same current, the magnetic field at the surface is proportional to 1/R.

4. Mar 18, 2009 #3
    Tanks cleam.. Excuse me for the stupid question but i had one discussion with my friend which sayed that the magnetic field at the surface was higher on conductor with diemater 50mm ...
    Bye

5. Mar 18, 2009 #4
    If the two conductors are isolated from one another, the higher field is at the surface of the 20 mm conductor. The B field outside an infinite straight conductor of radius R is

B = 2 x 10-7 I/a tesla (a>R)

where a is the distance from the center of the conductor. The field inside the wire is

B = 2 x 10-7 r I/R2 tesla

where r is a point inside a conductor of radius R (r<=R)

So the field scales as r inside the conductor, and 1/a outside. If the current is an AC current, Eddy currents force the currents toward the surface of the conductor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook