Where does the magnetic component come into play in an LC circuit?

In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between an LC circuit and the generation of radio waves. It was explained that an LC circuit oscillates due to the interaction between the electrical and magnetic components of light from the electromagnetic spectrum. The magnetic component plays a role in self-induction, where the energy in the circuit is continuously exchanged between the electric and magnetic fields. This is similar to how mechanical energy is exchanged between kinetic and potential energy in devices like a pendulum or a mass on a spring. However, understanding this topic may require a deeper understanding of the mathematical concepts involved and may be best learned in a class specifically focused on electromagnetic waves.
bassplayer142
I understand how an LC circuit oscillates and radio waves are a result. I also understand that any light from the electromagnetic spectrum has an electrical and magnetic component. Where does the magnetic component come into play in an LC circuit. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
An analogy is often discussed: As the voltage across the capacitor increases/decreases, a greater/lesser electric field is formed. As the current through the inductor increases/decreases, a greater/lesser magnetic field is formed.

Does this have to do with self induction?

That the voltage across an inductor is proportional to di/dt (and no longer bothering to mention flux when solving circuits), that's what people usually mean when they say self-induction. The way E.E. is usually taught, one day they tell you that the "induction" that you learned about before is more specifically called "self-induction", to contrast with a new topic that's being introduced, called "mutual induction."

You asked what the magnetic field has to do with the oscillation -- in the LC circuit the energy is continuously swapped back and forth between two different forms, between being stored in the electric field and being stored in the magnetic field. This is analogous to some mechanical devices, like the pendulum, or a mass bouncing on a spring, where mechanical energy gets swapped back and forth between kinetic energy and potential energy. Inertia keeps the mechanical gadget going when the potential is at its minimum. Inductance is compared with inertia.

Last edited:
I guess I still don't truly understand. But mostly because this isn't a topic that can be taught on the internet easily without understanding the math. I am going to have to take a class on electromagnetic waves strictly so I guess I will just wait for then. Thanks for the info though.

What is a magnetic field in an LC circuit?

A magnetic field in an LC circuit is a region in space where there is a force exerted on a charged particle due to the presence of electric current. In the context of an LC circuit, it is the magnetic field that is generated when an inductor is connected to a capacitor, as the electric current oscillates between the two components.

How is the magnetic field in an LC circuit calculated?

The magnetic field in an LC circuit can be calculated using the formula B = μ_0 * I * N / l, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ_0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the inductor, N is the number of turns in the inductor, and l is the length of the inductor.

What is the relationship between the magnetic field and the oscillation frequency in an LC circuit?

The magnetic field in an LC circuit is directly proportional to the oscillation frequency. As the frequency increases, the magnetic field strength also increases. This is because a higher frequency means a faster rate of change of the electric current, which in turn leads to a stronger magnetic field.

Can the magnetic field in an LC circuit be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field in an LC circuit can be manipulated by changing the parameters of the circuit, such as the number of turns in the inductor or the value of the capacitance. Additionally, the orientation of the inductor and the direction of the electric current can also affect the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

How is the magnetic field in an LC circuit used in practical applications?

The magnetic field in an LC circuit has various practical applications, such as in radio and television broadcasting, wireless communication, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. In these applications, the magnetic field is used to transmit and receive signals or to produce images of internal body structures.