Magnetic field in the case of a thin magnetized cylinder

In summary: In the formula for magnetic surface current density per unit length ## \vec{K}_m=\vec{M} \times \hat{n} ## when using ## B=\mu_o (H+M) ##. ## \vec{K}_m=10^5 \, A/m ##, and with ## d=.001 \, m ##, ## I=100 \, A ##.
Granger

Homework Statement

Consider a cylinder of thickness a=1 mm and radius R = 1 cm that is uniformly magnetized across z axis being its magnetization M= 10^5 A./m. Calculate the bound currents on the cylinder and, doing convenient approximations, the B field on the axis of the cylinder for z=0.

Homework Equations

adebcb854b7eca620011f9549d41706f2823d01b

490c264a64e44d7dd31713dd6a7fa3c0c1e520aa

ed190ac02d248161f9181e70e8456e8eede516b9

The Attempt at a Solution

So I had no problems with the first question. The bound current is only at the surface since the magnetization is constant. It's also only in the lateral of the cylinder because M is parallel to the exterior normal on the top and on the bottom. We conclude that $$\vec{J}=10^5 \vec{e}_{\theta} A/m$$

Now the second part is what is giving me trouble. The magnetization is across the z axis, so the vectors B and H will also be in that direction. That means the problem doesn't have symmetry right? So that don't let me apply any of the versions of Ampere's law listed above.
Should I apply Biot-Savart law? But I'm not in vacuum. Doesn't that make it invalid? Wouldn't that be like applying Coulomb's law in a dielectric? They talk about making approximations, what should I do? Also the fact that they don't give us any information about the permeability or the susceptibility is making me confused too? Can someone please help me to clarify this problem?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The surface current is the current per unit length. You have a thickness of 1mm, so you can calculate the entire current which is a ring of current of radius 1cm. The ## B ## field at the center of the ring can readily be computed from Biot-Savart. There is no additional calculation required. This is the ## B ## field in the material from these surface currents. ## \\ ## Edit: And note: The approximation here is because the ring is 1mm thick, all of the current isn't precisely at z=0.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
The surface current is the current per unit length. You have a thickness of 1mm, so you can calculate the entire current which is a ring of current of radius 1cm. The ## B ## field at the center of the ring can readily be computed from Biot-Savart. There is no additional calculation required. This is the ## B ## field in the material from these surface currents.

But all of my current is that superficial bound current, right? There is no free current. So my full current will be $#10^5 \times 2\pi \times 1 \times 10^{-2} \times 1 \times 10^{-3} = 6.3 A#$

As for the B field. I'm having a bit of trouble applying Biot Savart.

So I have
08b6915ceef645dfa89138fac5f0a8b78ac05c6f

Having dl the vector across the direction of the current I (so it has the direction of$ \vec{e}_{\theta}$?) we have
5b57e34933093a5973824ae1120d9a05908d755d
being equal to $d\theta (-\vec{e}_{z})$. Then I'll have

$$d_B=\frac{\mu_0 I d \theta}{4\pi r^2}$$

We substitute r with R since we are on the center of the cylinder And integrating across a very thin disk:
$$B=\frac{\mu_0 I 2\pi}{4\pi r^2}$$

And then over the cylinder we just multiply by its thickness of 1mm I obtain a field of $50.3 \muT$. However the right answer should have been $6.3 mT$ across positive z axis. What am I misunderstanding?

My other guess was that this degenerated in the case of a ring of charge (current only superficial on the sides and neglect thickness). But that would give me a field of $$B=\frac{\mu_0 I}{2R}$$ and that would lead me up to a field 39.584 mT...

What did you get for ## I ##? Your second case here is correct. In your above post, you left off the ## R ## in the computation of ## dl=R \, d \theta ##. What did you use for ## \mu_o ##? This second formula should get you the correct answer immediately.

Oh so he ring approximation is the way to go right?
For $I$ I got 6.3 A (as I described above multiplied the current density by $2 \pi R l$ where R is the radius and l the thickness.
For $\mu_0$ I used $4\pi \times 10^{-7}$

The units might be giving some difficulty. In the formula for magnetic surface current density per unit length ## \vec{K}_m=\vec{M} \times \hat{n} ## when using ## B=\mu_o (H+M) ##. ## \vec{K}_m=10^5 \, A/m ##, and with ## d=.001 \, m ##, ## I=100 \, A ##. ## \\ ## Edit: Now I think I see what you did... You need to look more closely at what the magnetic surface current per unit length means. (the length is measured across (and not along) the direction of current. But to get current ## I ##, you do not multiply by the circumference.

Charles Link said:
The units might be giving some difficulty. In the formula for magnetic surface current density per unit length ## \vec{K}_m=\vec{M} \times \hat{n} ## when using ## B=\mu_o (H+M) ##. ## \vec{K}_m=10^5 \, A/m ##, and with ## d=.001 \, m ##, ## I=100 \, A ##. ## \\ ## Edit: Now I see what you did... You need t look moe closely at what teh magnetic surface current per unit length means. (the length is measured across (and not along) the direction of current.

Ok that gives me the right answer. But now I understand what I'm not figuring out. Why are you only using the thickness of the cylinder to calculate I. Shouldn't we also use the perimeter? I know in terms of units we should only use one (to cancel out the m^-1)... But why using the thickness and not the perimeter?

That's the definition of current per unit length. Meanwhile, in employing Biot-Savart you use the circumference because you are integrating ## I \, dl ##. In computing the current ## I ## in a wire, you do not need to know the length of the wire.

Charles Link said:
That's the definition of current per unit length. Meanwhile, in employing Biot-Savart you use the circumference because you are integrating ## I \, dl ##. In computing the current ## I ## in a wire, you do not need to know the length of the wire.

But isn't ##2 \pi L ## also a length? Its the "path" the the current takes, right?
Oh so because I'm integrating ##I \, dl## in Biot Savart if I used that perimeter when computing I it would be like multiplying by the same thing twice...

Likes Charles Link
Yes, the formula you have for a ring is derived from Biot-Savart. Both ways you get the same answer. If you compute Biot-Savart correctly above using ## dl=R \, d \theta ##, you get the same result as your formula.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a physical phenomenon that is created by moving electric charges. It is a force that can attract or repel other magnetic materials.

2. How is a magnetic field created in a thin magnetized cylinder?

A magnetic field is created in a thin magnetized cylinder by aligning the magnetic dipoles of the atoms in the material in the same direction. This can be achieved by exposing the cylinder to a strong external magnetic field or by passing an electric current through the cylinder.

3. How does the magnetic field in a thin magnetized cylinder affect its surroundings?

The magnetic field in a thin magnetized cylinder can affect its surroundings by exerting a force on other magnetic materials, causing them to align with or against the cylinder's magnetic field. It can also induce an electric current in nearby conductors.

4. Can the strength of the magnetic field in a thin magnetized cylinder be changed?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field in a thin magnetized cylinder can be changed by varying the external magnetic field or the electric current passing through the cylinder. It can also be changed by altering the material of the cylinder or its size and shape.

5. What are some real-world applications of the magnetic field in a thin magnetized cylinder?

The magnetic field in a thin magnetized cylinder has various real-world applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in magnetic storage devices like hard drives and in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines.