1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field inside a box

1. Oct 21, 2006 #1
    1)A sensitive magnetic instrument can be shielded very effectively from outside fields by placing it inside a box of :
    a)teak wood
    b)plastic material
    c)soft iron of high permeability
    d)a metal of high of conductivity
    The electric lines of force cannot penetrate a closed metal box. But I don’t know about magnetic lines of forces. Can someone clear my doubt? The answer would be either {c} or (d).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What can you say about the magnetic flux in a substance with a high permeability when compared to air?

4. Oct 22, 2006 #3

In a substance with high permeability the magnetic flux will be high. So do u mean that soft iron cannot be used as its permeability is high?

5. Oct 22, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Quite the reverse actually. The magnetic flux will be 'redirected' into the soft iron rather than the air and therefore the flux will be 'deflected' around whatever is inside the box. Does that make sense?

6. Oct 24, 2006 #5
    I didn't understand entirely what u said. With whatever I have understood, I have the drawn the lines of forces that would exist inside the soft iron box. Is it right?

Attached Files:

7. Oct 24, 2006 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Good first try, but you need to show a finite thickness to the box, and show how the external field lines get concentrated inside the walls of the box, thus bypassing the volume inside the box. Give it another shot and I'll approve the pending attachment as soon as I can.

8. Oct 24, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not entirely the magnetic flux should not extend inside the cavity in the box, just in the material of the soft iron core itself as in this image;

[​IMG]
    Taken from http://www.tpub.com/

Think about how the magnetic permittivity relates to the magnitude of flux through an object.

Edit: Guess berkeman beat me to it. Does mentorship come will free typing lessons? :tongue2:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  9. Oct 25, 2006 #8
    I have understood now. Thanks.

10. Oct 27, 2006 #9

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I only beat you because you were taking the time to find a nice figure for the explanation. I looked briefly and gave up. :blushing:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?