1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field inside a cavity of a conductor.(Just a quick theory question, no math)

1. Feb 15, 2009 #1
    Question: An infinite cylindrical wire with radius 2R caries a uniform current density J=Jz, except in an infinite cylindrical hole parallel to the wires axis. The hole has a radius of R and is tangent to the exterior of the wire. Calculate the magnetic induction B everywhere inside the hole.

It would seem to me that according to Ampere's law B inside the cavity would just be 0 because there is no enclosed current. What am I missing? And the reason I doubt my answer so much is that he then wants us to plot B as a function of radius in the hole and I can't imagine plotting 0 was his intention.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Magnetic field inside a cavity of a conductor.(Just a quick theory question, no m

You are correct in doubting your answer, which is wrong.
    Here's a hint to solving the problem: imagine how you can produce that hole by superposing two cylinders.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook