Magnetic Field Lines in Motors: Exploring Real-Life Behavior and Possible Errors

In summary, the question is about the behavior of magnetic field lines in a motor-like situation where there are two parallel bar magnets, with one north end parallel to x=-X and one south end parallel to x=X. The question is whether the magnetic field line from (-X,y) will end at (X,y) if there are one or more current-carrying wires in the intervening space. The question also considers the orientation and type of current in the wires, as well as the influence of the magnets on the magnetic field lines.
Hobnob
Hi, I have a question about magnetic field lines in a motor-like situation. Suppose I have two horizontal bar magnets, with one north end parallel to x=-X and one south end parallel to x=X, as here:

-- --
| |
| |
N | | S
| |
| |
-- --

(forget the 'as here', the board is stripping out my nice spacing...)

If I have one or more current-carrying wires in the intervening space (not near the poles), can I still be sure that the magnetic field line from (-X,y) will end at (X,y)? In my model, this isn't happening, but I'm not sure if this is due to numerical error, some other error in the model, or whether it's actually expected real-life behaviour. I've made every correction I can think of to the line integration, and the lines are still warping significantly.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you describing two parallel bar magnets

[N====S] [N====S] or [N====S] [S====N],

or is it more like
N . . S
| . . |
| . . |
S . . N

and then how are the electrical wires oriented between the bar magnets, perpendicular or parallel? And are the electrical wires effectively infinite or are they looped?

The bar magnets will establish a static magnetic field.

Is there current in the electrical wires? Is it DC or AC?

A DC current will induce a static magnetic field, where as AC will induce a time varying magnetic field and voltage.

Also, since both magnetic fields are vector fields, they are additive (vector addition).

The magnets are collinear as in your first picture, with S facing N. The wires are looped, but we're ignoring that, so consider them as two infinitely long wires with oppositely facing currents. (incidentally, I think I know the answer to my question: the fields don't return to the same place, but are drawn up or down)

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and is characterized by its direction and strength.

How are magnetic field lines used in motors?

In motors, magnetic field lines are used to create a force that can cause the motor to spin. This is achieved by placing a permanent magnet near an electromagnet and using the interactions between the magnetic fields to create rotational motion.

What is the real-life behavior of magnetic field lines in motors?

In real-life, magnetic field lines in motors can be affected by factors such as the material and shape of the magnets, the strength of the current flowing through the electromagnet, and the distance between the permanent magnet and electromagnet. These factors can impact the strength and direction of the magnetic field, leading to variations in motor performance.

What are some possible errors that can occur when studying magnetic field lines in motors?

Some possible errors when studying magnetic field lines in motors include not taking into account external magnetic fields, using inaccurate or damaged equipment, and not controlling for variables such as temperature and humidity. Additionally, human error such as improper measurement techniques can also lead to errors.

How can magnetic field lines in motors be accurately studied and measured?

To accurately study and measure magnetic field lines in motors, it is important to use calibrated equipment, control for external factors, and ensure proper techniques are used for measurements. It may also be helpful to repeat experiments multiple times to account for any variations and ensure reliable results.