Magnetic Field near a Ferromagnetic Object

This relationship allows for determining the total magnetic field near the ferromagnet by taking into account both the input magnetic field and the magnetization of the material. In summary, the total magnetic field near the ferromagnet can be calculated by adding the input magnetic field (B) to the magnetization field (H) which is proportional to the saturation magnetization (Ms) of the material.
comm
Considering a bar of ferromagnetic (FM) material (eg, Nickel) placed in a uniform magnetic field (eg, B = 1kG along x). I know the H field produced by a given magnetization M of the ferromagnet (ie, I have [itex]\vec{H}=M \cdot \vec{\alpha}[/itex] for a calculated alpha). How do I determine the total magnetic field near the ferromagnet? I'm having difficulty determining how M relates to the input B (I know of the hysteresis, but I don't quite understand even what saturation magnetization relates to), and reconciling H and B in and outside of the ferromagnet.

Physics news on Phys.org
The total magnetic field near the ferromagnet is a combination of the uniform magnetic field (B) and the magnetization field (H) produced by the ferromagnet. The magnetization field (H) will be proportional to the saturation magnetization (Ms) of the material, which is the maximum magnetization that can be achieved in the material. In other words, the total magnetic field near the ferromagnet will be: B + (M/Ms)*H.

1. What is a ferromagnetic object?

A ferromagnetic object is a material that is strongly attracted to a magnet and can become magnetized itself.

2. How does a ferromagnetic object affect the magnetic field around it?

A ferromagnetic object can distort and concentrate the magnetic field around it, creating a stronger or weaker field depending on its orientation and distance from the magnet.

3. Can a ferromagnetic object shield or block a magnetic field?

Yes, a ferromagnetic object can shield or block a magnetic field, depending on its properties and orientation. This can be useful in applications such as MRI machines, where the magnetic field needs to be contained and directed.

4. How does the distance from a ferromagnetic object affect the magnetic field?

The closer the object is to the magnet, the stronger the magnetic field will be. As the object moves further away, the field will gradually weaken.

5. Can a ferromagnetic object have its own magnetic field?

Yes, a ferromagnetic object can become magnetized and have its own magnetic field. This can happen when the object is in close proximity to a magnet or when it is exposed to a strong magnetic field.