Magnetic field of a bar magnet

In summary, the problem discussed is about finding the magnetic field for a setup with two magnets separated by insulators, which can be considered as a magnetic dipole with two monopoles. The equation B = uM + H is mentioned as a possible solution, but the person is unsure about how to use it. They attempted to use an analogy with an electric dipole, but it did not work. Eventually, they arrived at the equation B = (u0/4π)(1/r^3)[3(m*rhat)rhat - m], but they are still unsure about how to use the variable m for the area between the tops of two different loops.
k33g0rz

Homework Statement

I have a problem in my upper div. lab which uses a series of magnets to make a magnetic field. I need to explain the field in some way to show what we did mathmatically. The set up can basically be considered as a magnetic dipole with two mono poles due to insulators.

.._B_
/____\
N||||| S

Help me solve for B in some way

Homework Equations

B = uM + H ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried to do it by approximation of a loop dipole analogy but it was seperating the length of the poles not the width between them. Any help even just to get started will be appriecated I've tried for soooo long to get any results

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely clear on what you're asking, but perhaps you could consider making an analogy to an electric dipole - basically just treat it as two monopoles separated by a certain distance.

sorry, I'm trying to figure out the generalized equations for the magnetic field above a physical dipole. I was trying to clarify that i was ignoring the fact that the poles were continuous and wanted to treat them as point poles in a sense. i'll try the electrical analogy and see if it works thank you.

ok so i got B = (u0/4π)(1/r^3)[3(m*rhat)rhat - m] but i still can't use m for this because m is IA and i don't want loop area i want area between the tops of two different loops. Halp

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by the movement of electric charges, such as those found in atoms and molecules.

How is the magnetic field of a bar magnet created?

The magnetic field of a bar magnet is created by the alignment of its magnetic domains, which are small regions within the magnet where the magnetic poles are all pointing in the same direction. These aligned domains create a stronger magnetic field.

How does the magnetic field of a bar magnet affect other objects?

The magnetic field of a bar magnet can affect other objects that are made of magnetic materials, such as iron or steel. These materials can become magnetized and either attract or repel from the bar magnet.

How can the strength of a bar magnet's magnetic field be measured?

The strength of a bar magnet's magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device uses a compass or a small piece of magnetic material to detect and measure the strength of the magnetic field.

Can the magnetic field of a bar magnet be changed?

Yes, the magnetic field of a bar magnet can be changed by exposing it to strong magnetic fields, heating it, or dropping it. These actions can cause the magnetic domains within the magnet to become misaligned, weakening or even reversing the magnetic field.