1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field of a bent wire

1. Mar 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An infinite wire of parabolic shape carries a current I, find the magnetic flux density B, at the focus

2. Relevant equations
    B=(μ0*I)\(2∏r) I know this is for a straight wire, i'm not sure what i would use for a U shaped wire

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I figure the current is running for one end to the other and the B field around the wire but I don't know what at the focus means, and I'm not sure what the bent U shape/parabolic effects the B field

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, draw a parabola y = x2 and draw the d l and r vectors at some point up the parabola on both sides. The focus in this case is at (0, 0.25).

Express the d l and r vectors in Cartesian terms. Wind up with everything in terms of x, with no y terms. Then integrate the Biot-Savart expression for dB from x =-∞ to +∞.

I must say the math looks awful. Perhaps someone else has a better approach.

4. Mar 29, 2013 #3
    oh great

5. Mar 29, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Awful, not impossible! In fact, looking at it again, may not be bad at all.

First, notice that you only need to address the parabola for x >= 0, then multiply by 2.

You know you need dl and r going from a point on the parabola (x,y). You also have y = x2.

dl = dx i + dy j and points upwards & to the right (assume current flows in the +y direction).
    r= -x i + (0.25 - y) j and points from a point (x,y) on the parabola to the focus.

That should get you going.

6. Apr 1, 2013 #5
    alright cool thank you

7. Apr 1, 2013 #6
    why is the focus at 0, 0.25? and would i use this? even though it for a closed curve? 7463d12e92a79b39f6b3ac7d44dfe1be.png

8. Apr 1, 2013 #7
    or this http://pms.iitk.ernet.in/wiki/images/math/5/c/8/5c8f0ff0e0d4749758d0abaf2faa2af2.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  9. Apr 1, 2013 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the right formula, aka the Biot-Savart law.

The expression for a parabola with vertex at the origin and open end upward (along the y axis) is
    y = x2/4p
    where p = distance along y from the vertex to the focus. So if you choose y = x2 then p = 1/4.

You can choose p to be any positive real number you want. The problem did not specify p so presumably it makes no difference to the solution.

BTW the "C' by the integral sign does not belong. This is not a contour integration. You are integrating d B to get B at one point.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  10. Apr 1, 2013 #9

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

EDIT:

This is the differential form of Biot-Savart. The " k " indicates that B wound up in the +z direction, just as it will in your case. θ is the angle between d l and r.

However, I earlier suggested vector forms for d l and r and I suggest you ignore this formula and retain the vector format for dB which is

d B = (μ0/4π)d l x r / r3.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  11. Apr 3, 2013 #10
    i guess ,y last question would be, how did you figure the
    dl = dx i + dy j
    r= -x i + (0.25 - y) j

12. Apr 3, 2013 #11

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

the first is just pythagoras: you have a vector dl with x component dx and y component dy. keep in mind dl is a differential stretch along the parabola.

The second is derived by the usual formula for a vector going from (x1,y1) to (x2,y2). (The direction is important).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted