Magnetic field of a circular loop

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of Br and Bθ at a point Q located at coordinates (a,0,a) and (ha,0,0) respectively, with a circular loop of radius R at the origin. It also mentioned using the equation A(r) = k∫ (J(r') dτ') / |r-r'| = kI ∫ dr' / |r-r'| where k is μo/4π and I is the current. For part a), the components of A were expressed as Br = - 1/r ∂/∂cosθ (Aφsinθ) and Bθ = - 1/r ∂/∂r (rAφ). For part
shinobi20

Homework Statement

A circular loop of radius R is on the xy plane and the center is at the origin, the current is flowing in a counter-clockwise manner. a) Let Q=(a,0,a) be a point such that a>>R. Find Br and Bθ at Q. b) Let Q=(ha,0,0) be a point on the x-axis such that h<1. Find the vector potential A at Q as a power series of h.

Homework Equations

A(r) = k∫ (J(r') dτ') / |r-r'| = kI ∫ dr' / |r-r'| where k is μo/4π and I is the current

The Attempt at a Solution

a) From azimuthal symmetry, we can restrict the situation to points r on the xz plane.
dr'=(dx', dy', 0)=(-Rsinφ', Rcosφ', 0)dφ'. Since the only non vanishing component of A is Aφ

Aφ(r) = kI ∫ (Rcosφ' dφ') / |r-r'| from 0 to 2π

Bφ = 0
Br = - 1/r ∂/∂cosθ (Aφsinθ)
Bθ = - 1/r ∂/∂r (rAφ)

Is this correct?

For part b) I don't know if it is a multipole expansion or somethin' else... Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think for part b) it can be expressed as a multipole expansion, Aφ = kI ∑l=0 ( ha< Pl(0) Pl(cosθ) )/( l(l+1) ). Is this correct?

Attachments

• Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 387

1. What is a magnetic field of a circular loop?

The magnetic field of a circular loop is the magnetic field created by a loop of current-carrying wire. It is a vector field that describes the strength and direction of the magnetic force at any point in space around the loop.

2. How is the magnetic field of a circular loop calculated?

The magnetic field of a circular loop can be calculated using the equation B = (μ0I/2R), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the loop, and R is the radius of the loop.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field of a circular loop?

The strength of the magnetic field of a circular loop is affected by the current flowing through the loop, the radius of the loop, and the distance from the loop. Increasing the current or decreasing the radius will result in a stronger magnetic field, while increasing the distance will result in a weaker magnetic field.

4. How does the direction of the current affect the direction of the magnetic field of a circular loop?

The direction of the current flowing through the loop determines the direction of the magnetic field. The right-hand rule states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, the curl of your fingers represents the direction of the magnetic field lines around the loop.

5. What are some real-world applications of the magnetic field of a circular loop?

The magnetic field of a circular loop is used in various technologies, including electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and in particle accelerators for scientific research.