1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field of a current distribution

1. Apr 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A magnetic lens is made by placing four long, thin current carrying conducting sheets of width ##2a## on the sides of a square, as shown in the figure. The currents in the conducting sheets are distributed uniformly over the sheets, and are directed either into or out of the plane of the page, as shown in the figure. You may neglect the effects of ends and corners.

Capture.jpg

(a) What are the values of ##H_{x}(a^{-},y)## and ##H_{y}(a^{-},y)## along the boundary just to the left of the current sheet at ##x=a##? Likewise, what are the values of ##H_{x}(x,a^{-})## and ##H_{y}(x,a^{-})## along the upper boundary just below the current sheet at ##y=a##?

(b) What are ##H_{x}## and ##H_{y}## at the origin?

(c) Find ##H_{x}## and ##H_{y}## in the interior region ##-a<x<a## and ##-a<y<a##?

(d) Derive the equation which describes the field lines in the interior region.

(e) Suppose that a beam of positively charged particles is injected into the interior region of the lens so that their velocities are initially along the ##z##-axis (out of the page). Discuss how the lens can act to focus the beam. Try to be as quantitative as possible.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

(a) ##H_{x}(a^{-},y) = 0## and ##H_{y}(a^{-},y) = \frac{\mu_{0}I}{2\pi a^{-}}##.

##H_{x}(x,a^{-}) = \frac{\mu_{0}I}{2\pi a^{-}}## and ##H_{y}(x,a^{-}) = 0##.

Please check my answers to (a).

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted