Magnetic field of a goffered circle

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving finding the magnetic induction at the center of a conductor shaped as a "goffered" circle, given a constant current and an equation for the curve of the conductor in polar coordinates. The individual encountered some challenges in solving the problem, but ultimately used the substitution method to simplify the integral and arrive at the correct solution. The individual's persistence and problem-solving skills were highlighted as important qualities in tackling complex scientific problems.
bjnartowt

Homework Statement

There is a constant current I = 10A in a conductor shaped as a “goffered” circle. Find the magnetic induction B at the center of the conductor. [The equation for the curve of the conductor, in polar coordinates, is

[tex]{\textstyle{1 \over r}} = {\textstyle{1 \over a}} + b\cos (m\phi )[/tex]

where m is an integer and a and b are constants.]

Homework Equations

[tex]\left| {\bf{B}} \right| \propto \int {\frac{{\sin \theta }}{{{r^2}}} \cdot d{\theta _{wire}}} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Eventually, I wind up with,
[tex]\left| {\bf{B}} \right| = \int_0^{2\pi } {\frac{{{{(\alpha + b\cos (m\phi ))}^4}}}{{\sqrt {{{(bm\sin (m\phi ))}^2} + {{(\alpha + b\cos (m\phi ))}^2}} }}d\phi } [/tex]

I put this integral into Maple, and it spits out a *Huge* number of what appears to be elliptic integrals at me. Can someone just name the integration technique I'd need in order to carry out this integral? I just need a lead, and I'll be off and running...

******UPDATE: Never mind...I figured it out. I got this slick cancellation when I realized I wasn't integrating with respect to d_phi, but rather d_l, which carries units of length*****

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your progress and solution with us. It seems like you have encountered some challenges while trying to solve this problem. I understand the importance of persistence and problem-solving skills in tackling complex scientific problems. In this case, it seems like you were able to identify the error in your integration and correct it, leading to a cancellation and ultimately arriving at the correct solution.

In terms of the integration technique needed for this problem, it appears that you may have used the substitution method to simplify the integral. This is a common technique used in solving integrals involving trigonometric functions. I am glad that you were able to figure it out and I hope this experience has helped you develop your problem-solving skills even further.

Best of luck with your future scientific endeavors! Keep up the good work.

1. What is a goffered circle?

A goffered circle is a geometric shape that is formed by connecting a series of semi-circles in an alternating pattern. It is also known as a scalloped circle or a fluted circle.

2. How is the magnetic field of a goffered circle different from a regular circle?

The magnetic field of a goffered circle is different from a regular circle because it is not uniform. Due to the alternating semi-circles, the magnetic field will vary in strength and direction at different points along the circle.

3. What causes the magnetic field in a goffered circle?

The magnetic field in a goffered circle is caused by the flow of electric current through the circle. This current creates a circular magnetic field around the circle, with the direction determined by the direction of the current.

4. How can the magnetic field of a goffered circle be calculated?

The magnetic field of a goffered circle can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which relates the magnetic field at a point to the magnitude and direction of the current and the distance from the point to the current. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the Ampere's law, which relates the magnetic field to the current enclosed by a closed path around the circle.

5. What are the practical applications of the magnetic field of a goffered circle?

The magnetic field of a goffered circle has various practical applications, including in magnetic sensors, electromagnets, and electric motors. It is also used in MRI machines for medical imaging and in particle accelerators for scientific research.