How to Calculate the Magnetic Field in a Toroid?

In summary, the conversation is about a toroid with a wire carrying a current of 7.10 Amperes wrapped around it 820 times. The inner radius is 23.0 cm and the outer radius is 27.6 cm. The question asks for the magnitude of the magnetic field along a circle that is halfway between the inner and outer edges of the toroid. The formula mentioned in the conversation is incorrect and the correct formula is not provided.
dangish
The toroid shown in the figure has a wire carrying a current I= 7.10 Amperes wrapped around it N= 820 times. The inner radius is R1 23.0 cm and outer radius R2 27.6cm.

Figure:
http://capaserv.physics.mun.ca/msuph...ob01_torus.gif

What is the magnitude of the magnetic field along a circle that is halfway between the inner and outer edges of the toroid?

Here is what I tried,

B = u0*I*r*N / (2Pi*R^2)

maybe I have to divide N by the current and replace the N in my equation above by N/I??

Please help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dangish said:
Here is what I tried,

B = u0*I*r*N / (2Pi*R^2)

maybe I have to divide N by the current and replace the N in my equation above by N/I??

Please help
That formula doesn't look right. Where did you get it from, and what are r and R?

1. What is a toroid?

A toroid is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a donut or a ring. In physics, it is commonly used to refer to a hollow, circular cylinder with a circular cross section.

2. What is the magnetic field of a toroid?

The magnetic field of a toroid is a type of magnetic field that is created by a current flowing through a helical path on the surface of the toroid. It is known for being highly concentrated and uniform in strength within the toroid.

3. How is the magnetic field of a toroid calculated?

The magnetic field of a toroid can be calculated using Ampere's Law, which states that the integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the current enclosed by that loop. The equation for the magnetic field of a toroid is B = (μ0 * N * I) / (2π * r), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the toroid, I is the current, and r is the radius of the toroid.

4. How does the magnetic field of a toroid differ from other types of magnetic fields?

The magnetic field of a toroid differs from other types of magnetic fields in several ways. Firstly, it is highly concentrated and uniform within the toroid, whereas other types of magnetic fields may vary in strength and direction. Additionally, the magnetic field of a toroid is only present within the toroid itself, unlike other types of magnetic fields that can extend beyond their source.

5. What are some real-world applications of the magnetic field of a toroid?

The magnetic field of a toroid has several practical applications in various fields. It is used in transformers to efficiently transfer electrical energy, in particle accelerators to guide and focus charged particles, and in medical devices such as MRI machines to create high-resolution images of the human body.