Why Does the Toroid's Magnetic Field Equation Use a Cubed Distance Term?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof on the magnetic field of a toroid being circumferential. The individual is confused about the first equation in the proof and shares a figure from the textbook. Another individual points out a possible mistake in the equation and suggests that it should be the vector r instead of the unit vector r hat. The original individual confirms this and thanks the responder.
richyw

Homework Statement

I'm working through a proof that says the magnetic field of a toroid is circumferential at all points inside and outside the toroid. I can follow most of the proof, but am a bit confused where the first equation comes from.

Here is the figure from the textbook (Griffith's 4th Ed).

http://media.newschoolers.com/uploads/images/17/00/67/76/17/677617.jpeg

To begin the proof, Griffiths starts with the field at [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] due to the current element at [itex]\mathbf{r}'[/itex].[tex]d\mathbf{B}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\frac{\mathbf{I}\times\mathbf{\hat{{u}}}}{u^3}dl'[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\mathbf{B}=\frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi}\int\frac{\mathbf{I}\times\mathbf{\hat{u}}}{u^2}dl'[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just confused at how Griffiths got from the Biot-Savart law above, into the equation he posted in the question. (I replaced the script r with a u). Where does the cubed term come from?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that is a mistake in the text. I think he meant it to be the vector r and not r hat, in which case the denominator would be cubed.

I agree with post #2. Otherwise the dimensions don't check out.

cool thanks. I was thinking that, but I wanted to confirm!

I would like to clarify that the first equation in the question is not the Biot-Savart law, but rather the magnetic field due to a current element. The Biot-Savart law is a general formula for calculating the magnetic field due to a current-carrying wire or a current element.

To answer the question about where the cubed term comes from, it is a result of the vector cross product in the numerator of the equation. The magnitude of the magnetic field depends on the magnitude of the current, the distance between the current element and the point of interest, and the angle between the current element and the direction of the magnetic field. This is represented by the magnitude of the vector cross product, which is proportional to the sine of the angle between the two vectors. When we take the cross product of the current element and the unit vector in the direction of the magnetic field, we get a vector with a magnitude of sin(theta). This vector is then divided by the distance cubed (u^3) to account for the inverse square law of the magnetic field.

I hope this explanation helps clarify the origin of the first equation and how it relates to the Biot-Savart law.

1. What is a toroid?

A toroid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that resembles a doughnut or a ring. It is created by rotating a circle around an axis that is perpendicular to the plane of the circle. In the context of magnetism, a toroid is a type of coil that has a circular shape with a hollow center.

2. How is the magnetic field of a toroid created?

The magnetic field of a toroid is created by passing an electric current through the coil. This current creates a circular magnetic field that is concentrated in the center of the toroid. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the electric current.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field inside a toroid?

The direction of the magnetic field inside a toroid is parallel to the axis of the coil. This means that if you were to place a compass inside the toroid, the needle would align with the axis of the coil.

4. How does the number of turns in a toroid affect its magnetic field?

The number of turns in a toroid directly affects the strength of its magnetic field. The more turns in the coil, the stronger the magnetic field will be. This is because each turn of the coil adds to the overall magnetic field, creating a more concentrated and stronger field in the center of the toroid.

5. What is the practical application of a toroid's magnetic field?

The magnetic field of a toroid has various practical applications. It is commonly used in transformers, inductors, and other electronic devices to control and manipulate the flow of electricity. It is also used in particle accelerators and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines to create and control powerful magnetic fields.