1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field of a Toroid

1. Apr 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "The toroid shown in the figure has a wire carrying a current I= 7.80 Amperes wrapped around it N= 920 times. The inner radius is R1 14.0 cm and outer radius R2 16.8cm. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field along a circle that is halfway between the inner and outer edges of the toroid?"
    mUWRfoX.gif

2. Relevant equations
    Magnetic field of a Toroid: B=μ0NI/2πr
    B=magnetic field
    μ0=permeability constant=4πx10-7 N/A2
    N=number of times the wire is wrapped around the toroid
    I=current
    r=radius

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the problem is asking for the field in the middle of the toroid, I decided to set my radius to halfway between the outside and inside:
    16.8 cm-14 cm=2.8 cm
    r=14+2.8 cm=.168 m

When I plug in this and all the variables given to me, my answer comes up wrong. Is there a concept I'm missing? My class never covered toroids so I'm pretty much on my own for this one.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2014 #2
    So according to the rules I can bump the thread once after 24 hours has passed since the initial post was created? Sorry, I just really need help on this. Is it because the question is so easy to everyone else that it should be obvious what I'm doing wrong? I feel so dumb not knowing how to do this...

4. Apr 3, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hey man, instead of in the middle you just wound up back at the outer radius for your value of r!

Compute r again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted