1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field of an irregularly shaped permanent magnet?

1. Jul 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How do I calculate the magnetic field of an irregularly shaped permanent magnet?

2. Relevant equations

Field of a magnetic point dipole:

\vec{B}(\vec{m},\vec{r}) = \frac{(\vec{m}.\vec{r})\vec{r}-\vec{m}\left\|\vec{r}\right\|^{2}}{\left\|\vec{r}\right\|^{5}}

[tex]\vec{m}[/tex] is the dipole moment (in Teslas, I think) and
    [tex]\vec{r} = \vec{p} - \vec{b}[/tex] is the vector that points from the base [tex]\vec{b}[/tex] of the dipole to the point where the field is being evaluated

3. The attempt at a solution

I integrated this point dipole over a field of moments for a solid. The result was wrong because the integration treats the dipole field itself as a derivative.

The solid is a 1x1x1cm cube.

The moment field consists of unit vectors everywhere pointing along the Z-axis (only as a test, the field must be allowed to vary arbitrarily).
    The surface field strength is supposed to be around 1.0 Tesla (within an epsilon), but the integration gave 5.7714e+10 Tesla, which tells me I did something very wrong indeed.

Note: I am using numerical integration without physical constants (because free space permeability is too small for machine precision), so I don't expect the results to be exact, just within a scalar multiple of the desired answer. I have adjusted the predicted results accordingly.

How can I use a field of moments for a solid to calculate the correct magnetic field?

I believe I need a "moment element" analogue of a volume element, but I have no idea how to make it.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted